• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greydragon
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2004

Will this work? (How to do it?)

Here's what I need to do, please let me know if this is possible and, if so, any tips on how to do it:

I need to create a form in AutoPlay that a customer fills out. When they click the Submit button, the data they entered is used to create a .html document on their Desktop.

If anyone has any information on this, I would really appreciate it. I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

- Greydragon
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Hi. I created a little example for you;

Hope that helps.

Comment

• Greydragon
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2004

Thanks, Corey. You're the best!

Two more things:

1) Any idea on the best way to change it so that when the user leaves an input field blank, that the label for the output won't be saved into the html file? (ie. if "Name" is left blank, make it so it won't show "Name:" in the output)

2) How do I change the TAB order on input fields? In the example you made the TAB order for me goes from the first input field to the third then to the second.

Thanks again!

- Greydragon

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Hi. Always glad to help. Please go back and download it again, I have added those features to the download file. It was just a simple matter of re-arranging the input fields in the object pane and adding a small if statement to test for an empty variable... Hope that helps.

Comment

• Greydragon
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2004

I think I didn't explain it well enough on the empty fields part. Sorry about that.

What I meant is, how do I make the input fields *optional*? For example, if the user decides to leave the "Email" input field blank, then the html file will still be created BUT it will not write "Email: *blank space*" in the html output. It will just skip that part.

So say I enter the following on the form:
          Your Name: Greydragon
          Your Email:
          Favorite Color: Grey

Then the created html output would be:
          Your Name: Greydragon
          Favorite Color: Grey

Hope that makes more sense, and THANKS!

Comment

• AXXESS
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2001

Corey, thanks from me too... this example may be an even better option for submitting test results than submitting test data via a php script to email.... using this with the FTP plugin would be even better.... :yes :yes :yes

Thanks for another great example!

Comment

• Corey
              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
              • Aug 2002

Hi. OK I see. No problem just download this one attached here. Hope that works.

AXXESS, it all depends on what you are up to. One thing about using PHP is that you can validate remotely. So for secure apps you may be better off with PHP but for utility stuff, this works great.

At some point in time I will whip up a set of functions which ease the strain of writing formatted HTML from within AMS. Not sure when though, my dance card is packed what with the junior catilion coming up and all, and just around the corner from fashion season too... :o
              Attached Files

Comment

• Greydragon
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2004

Perfect, thanks again! :yes

Comment

• AXXESS
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2001

Hi Corey,

I would just use this to submit test data from an app to an ftp location. This is the same type app you assisted with the php script on a couple weeks ago.

No need for security. Submitting the data as html would allow placement of better headings and information. Much more straightforward than the php script IMHO.

Greydragon, didn't mean to jump into your post, but looks like Corey has you all set :yes .

Not sure when though, my dance card is packed what with the junior catilion coming up and all, and just around the corner from fashion season too...
                  and the anticipation of TU2 also!

Comment

• Corey
                    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                    • Aug 2002

TU2 is amazing. Just amazing. Those gruff but lovable lugs in dev have raised the bar again, and I have developed an entirely new web site system around it. TU2 is going to be the world's best selling update system someday, hopefully by next year or so. Mark my words. I've made it a personal goal and I don't mess around with goals. I put more thought and effort into the new TrueUpdate site than any site I've ever created.

Yeah, if security isn't a thing then for sure submit it as HTML by all means but use CSS then, that is for sure the way to go. By far. If you're using Dreamweaver you don't need any tools, it has a basic-but-usable CSS editor built in. Top Style is good according to Lorne, I trust that's true given his keen fashion sense and love for bronze knick knacks.

Or better yet, go find a CSS web site with attractive pages and snag their .css like this, "FSWOOSH!". and voila, you're in business. Not only will it make for lightweight, easy to use.read code, but you can change the .css on the server anytime you want without having to alter your app and completely re-format the data.

CSS goes well beyond text formatting such that you can actually re-purpose your data freely. Check out this site sometime, it's a great example and a great place to fswoosh a few decent .css scripts.

A demonstration of what can be accomplished visually through CSS-based design.

I've only recently come full circle to CSS and I'm glad I did, there's no longer any reason to be using HTML to visually format web content really. I mean I'm not going to say something stupid like, "The future is now" or whatever but you get the idea. It's "time". Best part is that CSS is so much cleaner to work with. At first it took a day or two to get used to the new methods but it became instinctual very quickly and I can tell you it eliminates many of the hassles of working in Dreamweaver.

Top document experts all agree that HTML will exist as a text delivery system for decades to come, so you can't go wrong with storing and processing text inside HTML. The big benefit here though is that if you use CSS to format this text (rather than HTML) you will be in a position to repurpose your HTML in new and exciting ways which are not reliant on the HTML itself. XML is also a good way to store data, as I learn more about integrating XML and CSS to deliver superior data transactions I will make sure to post.

Anyhow at the end of the day client side technology is just getting started not to mention document processing, i.e. PDF is such a horrible technology, it can't hold on forever. So the ideal way to approach this is to find the method which leaves your data with the most leeway in the future balanced with the most functionality today. For me the choice I currently subscribe to and reccomend is HTML via CSS.

Sorry for the rant. I was waiting for my coffee to brew and so had to kill 4 minutes at any cost. Speaking of goals, I love that European soccer announcer who screams "GOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL!!!". I'd like to hire him to follow me around while I skateboard and scream, "BAAAAAAAAAIIIIILLLLLLL!!!!" every time I bail.

Comment

• AXXESS
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2001

**drools in anticipation of TU2**

FSWOOSH!
                      Main Entry: fswoosh
                      Pronunciation: 'f·swüsh
                      Function: verb
                      Etymology: imitative
                      intransitive senses
                      1 : to repurpose web content stealthily in small amounts and often again and again <fswooshing html>
                      2 : borrow, pay compliment to
                      transitive senses : REPURPOSE; especially : to repurpose for ease of use

:yes Right now GoLive is my html editor of choice...
                      Last edited by AXXESS; 12-18-2004, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X