• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StudioFx
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Apr 2003

Default videoplayer

Is there a way to force AM5 to open .mpg1 files with Windows-mediaplayer ?
    It seems the only good way to play the videoclips, as a REAL-player is giving poor results, at the customers location.

In other words : the customer has REAL & WINDOWS -mediaplayer installed ( on every laptop in the organisation), and for some reason the default player for the AM5 videoclips is set to REAL-player. With bad results. When opened with WMP, the clips are playing fine.

Can somebody give me a hint ?

Thanks, Kurt
    Kurt Heyndrickx
  • Ted Sullivan
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Oct 2003

No problem. Instead of opening the .mpg file (and relying on the OS to pick the default "viewer"), you can specify the path to the viewer and pass the video file path as a command line argument.
    New Release: Setup Factory 9.6 adds Windows 11 compatibility and support for hardware token OV/EV Code Signing certificates.

Comment

• Ted Sullivan
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Oct 2003

One more suggestion would be to use the Media Player object in AMS50 Professional. That would let you embed the mediaplayer into your application. Check out www.autorun.org to download the plugin - it's free, but it only works with Pro/Deluxe - not Standard.
      New Release: Setup Factory 9.6 adds Windows 11 compatibility and support for hardware token OV/EV Code Signing certificates.

Comment

• StudioFx
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Apr 2003

Thanks for the fast response Ted,
        but i have no idea how this works.
        I've downloaded the plugin, into my Pro version, but cannot find it ... ( project/plugins)

how exactly can i select the Windows mediaplayer as the default?
        Thanks for your help & patience
        in advance

:oops
        Kurt
        Kurt Heyndrickx

Comment

• Corey
          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
          • Aug 2002

HI. First you have to activate it. This is easy though, just go to PROJECT > PLUGINS and click the check box then you can insert it like any other plug-in object... Hope that helps.

Corey Milner
          Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• StudioFx
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Apr 2003

i have only one plugin to check : clipboard
            i've just dowloaded and installed the new on, just cannot see it

i've made an update to 5.0.0.4, perhaps this is the reason?
            Kurt Heyndrickx

Comment

• Corey
              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
              • Aug 2002

Try uninstalling and re-installing the plug-in, you should see it there. Also you should see a sample template for it in the template gallery when creating a new project...

Corey Milner

Comment

• StudioFx
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Apr 2003

when creating a new project, i see indeed the new template.
                ( i can see the action 'on play'
                but i still cannot find the plugin ... sorry
                not even in the new project ...
                Kurt Heyndrickx

Comment

• Worm
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Jul 2002

Actually, the Media Player plugin doesn't show there. I believe only Action Plugins show there.

To Insert a Media Player Object:
                  In the Menus Click on:
                  [Insert], [Plugin Objects], then choose, Media Player

Comment

• Corey
                    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                    • Aug 2002

Oops, should have been more specific, that's what I meant by, "then you can insert it like any other plug-in object". Thanks Worm!

Corey Milner

Comment

• StudioFx
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Apr 2003

Ok, slept a bit, had a strong coffee and .... found the way to insert the plugin ! eureka !
                      but still need a lot of help .... How do i activate this 'plugin' ?
                      i want to have a certain video to play, when forwarded to the page where my mediafile is placed. I want to have it played within the application, and with the possibility to select ' full screen"
                      Have mercy with a poor guy
                      thanks, Kurt
                      Kurt Heyndrickx

Comment

• Corey
                        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                        • Aug 2002

Hi. A great place to start is to check out the included template, load it up and preview it and then go back and dissect it. That should shine some light on the issue. That's a good place for general knowledge and then if you are still having troubles let us know which specific part about the template you would like explained better and we'll go from there... I bet once you pick that sample apart, you'll be on easy street though. Hope that helps...

Corey Milner

Comment

• StudioFx
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Apr 2003

Hi Corey,
                          there where in AM4, you could easily choose for the WMF-object, i now had to download a plugin. I overlooked this choice and inserted on our latest project the standard video object.
                          result : the customer has no sound or bad picture. For me it is like they hit me with a sledgehammer, because a mistake like this i cannot make twice.

Although working with plugins will be probably very easy, and 'basic-stuff' for most of the people whom on a daily base create projects with AM5, i'm having a seriously big problem in understanding the methods and scripting of AM, especially when it comes to 'non standard' issues. Probably because i just implement the products we make at the end of the project into the AM environment.( let's say once a month).

I am still convinced that AM5 is a great tool to do this. And the online examples on this site or the auturun-site are great help.
                          But for me it just isn't easy to handle. So right now i am fully depending on how fast people on this forum can help me out.
                          And believe me, i am very thankfull for all the help and advise !

kurt
                          Kurt Heyndrickx

Comment

• Corey
                            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                            • Aug 2002

Hi. All I can really say is that, regardless of schedule, the very best way to get up to speed on AMS5 is to spend a couple hours reading the docs. The getting started section is awesome and it's relatively painless. It's the very best thing I can reccomend.

Note that the forums can't be relied on for critical deadlines. Although you can usually get what you need here, this system just isn't setup for that type of requirement. I can understand where you are coming from but I just thought I should mention that.

Corey Milner

Comment

• StudioFx
                              Indigo Rose Customer
                              • Apr 2003

Yep, i've got the picture
                              you're offcourse right, regarding the timeline.

i've found an interesting text in the helpfiles :

Disable the AutoPlay Media Studio audio engine on Windows NT 4.0 operating systems at runtime. The audio engine controls sounds such as mouse effects and any background audio playback. Due to a limitation in Windows NT 4.0, only one thread of execution for audio can be used in a project. This limitation affects the audio playback for the video object and the Media Player Plugin Object in AutoPlay Media Studio. If the audio engine is enabled allowing mouse effects and background audio, video playback will contain no sound. If the audio engine is disabled, only the audio for the video objects will play.

If video (containing audio) is an integral part of your application and Windows NT 4.0 is one of the operating systems you will be supporting, we recommend selecting this option even though it means sacrificing your other audio features. This setting only affects the Windows NT 4.0 operating system.

perhaps i have to check with the customer on this one ...
                              Kurt
                              Kurt Heyndrickx

Comment

Working...
                              X