• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dazmanu
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Feb 2004

Video object extension

Hello,

I am using AMS to create video presentation cd's that will also play in a stand alone DVD player as a Video CD or Super Video CD. I have had great success with this in AMS 4.0, but AMS 5.0 doesn't seem to work the same.

A compliant Video CD uses a mpeg1 video file with a *.DAT extension. With AMS 4.0 I could simply type in the path of the video file (%SrcDir%\MPEGAV\AVSEQ01.DAT), it would find the file, recognise it as an mpeg file and play it.

AMS 5.0 wants a valid video file extension in order to even see it, and you can't even type in a path, you must browse.

If anyone has a work around for this I would apprieciate it.

Thanks.
  • Worm
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jul 2002

use Video.Load to bring in the video at runtime

Video.Load("Video1", "AutoPlay\\Videos\\Sample.DAT", true, false)

Comment

• Brett
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Jan 2000

Or you can edit the file:

C:\Program Files\AutoPlay Media Studio 5.0 Professional\Data\_res_types.xml

and tell it to support "DAT" as a video extension.

Comment

• Intrigued
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Dec 2003

Or you can edit the file:

C:\Program Files\AutoPlay Media Studio 5.0 Professional\Data\_res_types.xml

and tell it to support "DAT" as a video extension.
        *Ah!

I was wondering about this as well.

Thank you.
        Intrigued

Comment

• tviman
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2004

How do you do this?

Can anyone step me through the best way to make a hybrid CD like suggested here? I have not made a VCD or SVCD yet, other than one quick test, and yikes... what are all those other files that Nero makes in the process? And is it true that the VCD is a low res.... what was it, 352x240? Does this stretch well and keep good quality?

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

HI. Just on your one specific point:

352x240? Does this stretch well and keep good quality?
            This is a matter of opinion. Certainly it wouldn't be considered high quality at 1024 X 768 by a video professional however the average home consumer would likely find it acceptable. The bottom line here is that it's subjective.

Best way to test it is to just try it out. You're as good a judge of your own video as anyone else. I can tell you that to test audio/video it helps to get away from the material for 48 hours and then come back to it with fresh eyes. Anyhow, trial and error on the quality thing. The bottom line is performace, anything above 352 X 240 at a high frame rate will choke some CD drives, so you have to weigh that too in the balance.

Bottom line, to be safe, do whatever everyone else seems to be doing, i.e. 352 X 240, but keep your eyes on the fries so that you can move up as soon as it's feasible. That's my opinion anyhow.

Corey Milner
            Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Geoffh
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jun 2003

Choking CD drives

Hi Corey

Could you use a DVD disc for delivery if you were concerned about playback on a CD player. Thats after you've confirmed that your users have a DVD drive.

I was thinking that a DVD drive and disc would have better performance in general. Is this possible?
              Geoff

Comment

Working...
              X