• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arnaud
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Aug 2003

Progress meter VS. StatusDlg

Hi,

I'm creating an app which will use a Progress Bar to show the status of Zip.Add, a File.Copy and Zip.Extract actions...

I don't know which object to use in my callback functions: StatusDlg or Progress Meter with a Label.SetText() (to inform users about current file and other things).

I will create big zip archives (~ 500Mo, with a lot a small files)

Is one solution more rapid than an other ? Changing the text on a label Object take the same time to change the text of a StatusDlg object ? (I don't want to include current file name on the progress meter object)

Thank you !

Arnaud
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Best way to find out is to try them both using a stopwatch. If you can't tell the difference that way, the difference won't matter to the user.

My motto is: design for responsiveness, not speed. Many studies have found that progress displays (whether graphical or text-based) make operations seem to take less time. If a user sees that something is happening, and has something to watch, the whole operation will feel quicker to them, even if it takes longer than it would with no progress.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Derek
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • May 2001

Good motto Lorne I can see the sense in that.
      -
      = Derek
      ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Really, eh? Cool, if you ever have any links to any studies evern remotely in this area of interest please post them, I will read ever single word of every single link. Can never read too many studies on these things.

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Lorne
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • Feb 2001

Here's a decent book on the subject:

GUI Bloopers: Don'ts and Do's for Software Developers and Web Designers
          --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
          X