• Jan 2000

FAQ: AutoPlay Menu Studio 3.0 Frequently Asked Questions

Document ID: IR03001
    The information in this article applies to:
    • AutoPlay Menu Studio 3.0

SUMMARY

This is a list of frequently asked questions relating to AutoPlay Menu Studio 3.0. Please note that this list will be updated on a regular basis.

DISCUSSION

Question:

When I build my project I get this:

Build Error: OutPutFonts
    Error Copying File:
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    To: C:\output\DATA\menu1.ttf
    What can I do to solve this?

Answer:
    Try deleting the DATA directory and rebuilding or try building to another directory (i.e. "c:\output2") and this should solve the problem.

Question:
    I am not sure where to put my image and sound files? Do I have to manually place them in the DATA directory?

Answer:
    All images and sounds used on buttons and backgrounds are automatically placed in the data folder. You do not have to manually put any files in the data folder.

Question:
    Which files are built into the project, and which files do I have to reference using something like %SrcDrv%?

Answer:
    All files used internally by the menu system are built into the project. This includes all graphics files, WAV and MP3 sounds (as long as you do not play them by reference), and AVI files. If you are using something by reference you should use %SrcDrv% for externally opening/executing them.

Question:
    When I burn my project to the CD my images don't show up and my sounds don't work - why?

Answer:
    If you burn your CD-ROM only to realize that your background image doesn't appear or that your sounds don't play, don't panic. This can happen if you don't burn all of the data files to the CD. Make sure that you have copied the DATA directory and it's contents to the CD. Here is a list of the files that need to be included on your CD:

Filename Description Destination
    autorun.exe the project executable. root folder of the cd-rom.
    autorun.apm the configuration settings for your project. root folder of the cd-rom.
    autorun.inf handles the windows autoplay functionality,
    which allows your menu to start up automatically.
    root folder of the cd-rom.
    startupv.exe used to run your startup video. root folder of the cd-rom.
    startupv.ap1 the configuration file for the startup video. root folder of the cd-rom.
    data\*.bah
    data\*.bal
    data\*.brh
    data\*.brl
    background images. data subfolder off of root.
    data\*.dav video files used in your project. data subfolder off of root.
    data\*.dah
    data\*.dal
    image files used in your project. data subfolder off of root.
    data\*.daw sound files used in your project. data subfolder off of root.
    data\*.ttf font files. data subfolder off of root.

** The DATA subdirectory may be called something other than DATA if you specified otherwise in the Store support files in subdirectory field on the Build screen. If you turned off the Store support files in subdirectory option, these files will be stored in the same directory as the core files.

Question:
    I have an Open Document action set to "%SrcDrv%\MyDoc", and I burn my MyDoc.doc file onto the root of the CD, but every time I run my project I get this error:

E:\MyDocThe specified file was not found.
    What's going on?

Answer:
    When you use any command that deals with a file you must remember to include that files extension. So the path should actually be: "%SrcDrv%\MyDoc.doc".

Question:
    When I click on some of my buttons, nothing happens. What would cause this?

Answer:
    This can happen for several reasons:

1. The application or document that you tried to open is not located in the correct directory. Check to make sure that you have put the files that are going to be opened in the correct locations whether you are on your build drive or on the CD-ROM. One situation where this commonly happens is if you are testing the menu from a test build drive but have not put the file that you are trying to run on the same drive.
    2. The document that you are opening does not have an associated viewer on the user's system. For example, if you tell the menu to open "%SrcDrv%\myfile.pdf" but the user does not have Adobe Acrobat Reader on their system, the document will not open. This is why it is a good idea to include viewers on your CD-ROM if there is any chance that your users will not have them. Of course, make sure that you have permission to distribute the viewer.
    3. You have misspelled the path of the file when designing the menu. Check your spelling and syntax carefully.

Question:
    I have created a project that has a condition to expire after 30 days. When testing this I noticed that after 30 day when I try to run my menu the SPLASH screen still comes up even though the menu never does?

Answer:
    When you have a splash screen associated with your project, it will always be displayed, even if the actual project has been disabled.

Question:
    I have copied an object, but when I paste it I cannot see it?

Answer:
    When you copy and past an object, the new object will be pasted in the exact same position.

Question:
    Why is this, most programs paste at an offset?

Answer:
    The reason for this is to give you, the user, the ability to have objects on different pages in the exact same location. So for example if you wanted a "NEXT" button to be in the same position on every page, you would copy and paste it on the other pages, and it would automatically be in the same position.

Question:
    Are the Boolean conditions case sensitive?

Answer:
    No the Boolean conditions are not case sensitive, so for example 'hand' and 'HAND' are equal to each other.

Question:
    I have noticed that there is a Play Multimedia action, how is this different from Play WAV, Play MP3, or Play AVI?

Answer:
    Play Multimedia is an action that you can use to play unsupported file types. (e.g. "*.MOV"). What Play Multimedia will do is attempt to open the supplied file by using the "play" shell verb. For example if you used Play Multimedia on a WAV file then the WAV file would be opened and played in the users default WAV player.

Question:
    If I play a sound, then play another the first one gets cut off. Why?

Answer:
    Different sound files get different preferences on different systems; the standard order is as follows:

1. If an MP3 is playing no other sound will play until the MP3 is finished.
    2. If an AVI is playing than no other sound may play until the AVI is finished playing.
    3. If a WAV is playing than either an AVI or an MP3 will override the sound. Actually in this case another WAV file will override the first WAV file. Note: The actual order on your system may differ, but this is the standard order.

Question:
    I have a lot of objects and am having trouble keeping track of them, any ideas?

Answer:
    Here's a tip, try using the Object Browser, found under View | Object Browser. The Object Browser was designed specifically for cases such as this.

Question:
    I'm getting a strange error telling me that I have an illegal copy of AutoPlay. What's going on?

Answer:
    Well, one of two things is happening:

1. You are using an evaluation copy, and you forgot to copy over your DATA directory. In this case you will receive a second dialog that will tell you this.
    2. You did not receive the second dialog message; in this case you do have an illegally modified version. Please contact our Sales Department to get this sorted out.

Question:
    I'm trying to have my Power Point presentation startup as a slide show automatically, how do I do this?

Answer:
    You will need to use a Custom Verb action for this:

1. Create an action: Execute | Custom Verb.
    2. File Name: "%SrcDrv%/MyShow.ppt".
    3. Set the Custom Verb to: "Show".

There is also a very helpful article available at the Indezine website, the article can be found here: http://www.indezine.com/products/powerpoint/ppautorun.html

Question:
    Can I use long filenames on my CD?

Answer:
    It is not generally a good idea to do this. The ISO9660 CD-ROM format does not support long filenames and since it is the most widely accepted standard for CD-ROMs, you should follow the 8.3 naming convention. Although there are formats that do support long filenames such as the Joliet standard, your CD may not be readable on some older drives and systems

KEYWORDS: FAQ

Last reviewed: October 21, 2002
    Copyright © 2002 Indigo Rose Corporation. All rights reserved.
Working...
X