• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neo
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2002

Secured PCs

Hi all,

I'm evaluating TrueUpdate at the moment before we purchase it and so far it seems to be a great tool.

However, there is one question that is very important for us:
    Is it possible that a user with no Admin rights can update software on his/her computer using TrueUpdate?

Please let me know if such thing is possible or if there is a way around to make it wokr.
  • Darryl
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jul 2001

Re: Secured PCs

This really depends upon what needs to be updated. TrueUpdate as well as our install and patching products abide by operating system rules as far as what actions can be taken on the users system. Network administrators can also restrict access even further if they choose. You can find some further information on the topic in the following Knowledge Base article that was written for Setup Factory 6.0, however the same rules and information applies to TrueUpdate.

Comment

• Neo
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2002

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for the fast reply. However, I'm still not sure if what I want would be possible.

I read the recommended article and I understand the logic there. What I would like to know is if it is possible to start the TrueUpdate client program with administrator rights under a "User" account (with no rights)? In this case, although the user has no rights to modify registry keys, system files, etc., TrueUpdate will have the required rights to update anything. Is it possible to give TrueUpdate more rights than the rights of the user (or the software) that starts it?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment

• Darryl
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jul 2001

No, I'm sorry, TrueUpdate's allowed permissions will be those of the user running the program and will therefore be subjected to any administrative restrictions that the user has placed upon them.

Comment

• Neo
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2002

Is it possible to run TrueUpdate as a service?

Comment

• Brett
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Jan 2000

Not at this time.

Comment

• Lorne
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Feb 2001

Actually, you can sometimes run an application as a service even if it wasn't built for it.

I haven't tried it with TrueUpdate, but you might want to give it a shot. (Who knows? It might work.)

For all the nitty gritty details, see here:

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

BTW, another approach might be to use the "Run as user" feature in Windows XP (which I believe might also be possible in 2k) to run an application as another user, in this case you'd want to run it as "admin" or "administrator" or whatever applies. You'll need to provide the requisite password, etc.

Note: it might not actually be called "Run as user" but that's the general idea...cuddle up to google for more.
              --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
              X