• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Jackson
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2001

CRC COMPRESSION ERRORS WIN2K SUF6

While installing a SUF6 installation from a network drive, not a CD install, I am getting CRC and compression errors. The errors include the irsetup.exe file being installed to the temp directroy. I have Admistrator rights for the install. I moved the installation files to the local hard disk and got the same errors?

What can I do to get ride of these errors?

Thanks . . . John

------------------
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Re: CRC COMPRESSION ERRORS WIN2K SUF6

Two possibilities:

1. the data contained in the setup executable was corrupted, redownload the file

2. your hard disk is failing or your filesystem is hosed -- backup your data while (if!) you still can!
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• John Jackson
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2001

Lorne,

1-- I know the files are not corrupt,since I can run the same setup on a WIN98 workstation with no errors.

2-- The hard disk is brand new. How can I test for a bad disk or hosed filesystem?

New question: Would turning off compression help at all?

Thanks for your time . . . John Jackson

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

1-- I know the files are not corrupt,since I can run the same setup on a WIN98 workstation with no errors.
        How do you know the files aren't being corrupted during the transfer off the network? You might want to use a CRC utility to compare the CRC value of the setup file before and after you transfer the setup file. (SF6 has one built into the design environment, if you have that installed on the system you're downloading the setup onto...otherwise I'm sure a Google search will turn something up.) This could be indicative of a network problem too.

2-- The hard disk is brand new. How can I test for a bad disk or hosed filesystem?
        Um...it kind of depends. If the filesystem is a variation of FAT, you can't do any better than SpinRite (www.spinrite.com). However, if you're running NTFS (as you should be if you're using 2k or XP), you'll need to use another tool...and I don't know of any testing tools offhand. I suppose running chkdisk couldn't hurt, and you could use a utility that reads the S.M.A.R.T. data off the hard drive.

A search at Google or in the www.storagereview.com forums (or www.arstechnica.com and www.tomshardware.com for that matter) should turn something up.

It might. I never turn compression on for my drives; it invalidates most repair and recovery tools, and that's a risk I don't care to take with my data.
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Kimbo
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2002

Originally posted by John Jackson:
          i'm not sure but i think, as *i* interpreted it, that he was reffering to the SF6 compression setting under advanced. that's what i think - as opposed to OS compression.

John Jackson:

if your setup file(s) work fine on a win98 system i recommend the following:

place your file(s) in a zip/arj or similar format. you don't even have to use compression but rather just the store option. (they all have it)

then send it to the network machine and unpack the file(s). if they unpack ok then they should also run/install ok. if the "suitcase" gets corrupted then you'll know. because if they work on win98, then you put them in a "suitcase" and transfer them and the suitcase is undamaged then how can the contents inside be harmed ? i just don't see how. [unless the setup file(s) actually get corrupted on the fly at their 1st run]

[This message has been edited by Kimbo (edited 03-12-2002).]

Comment

• John Jackson
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2001

I think the problem may have been the hard disk on the server. It had very little space left. The install may have become corrupted because of this. I rebuilt the install, moved the install to a server hard disk with a lot of free space, and everything worked fine.

Thanks for your help . . . John Jackson

Comment

Working...
            X