• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mwerner
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2001

Shortcuts on desktop

We are currently testing our product on all Windows OS and have found a problem I cannot solve. I create a desktop shortcut using the shortcut icon system editor. I set the folder to %DesktopNT%, the target file to %AppDir%\program.exe, and the working directory to %AppDir%. When we install on Windows 95 or 98, the shortcut is created on the desktop and the working directory is set to the install folder (e.g., c:\test) but the target file is set to the install drive\program.exe (c:\program.exe - not c:\test\program.exe). It does not contain the install path. I made sure I am using %AppDir% not %AppDrv%. The install works fine on Windows NT, 200, and Me.
  • Mark
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jun 2000

Re: Shortcuts on desktop

Hi,
    What version of Setup Factory do you have? The newest is version 5.0.1.3 if you do not have it I would recommend that you get it from: http://www.indigorose.com/setup/update.html.
    I tested this on my side and I did not have any problems. I did not have access to a WIN 98 machine but I did test in on a WIN 95 machine. I have tested this on WIN 98 machines in the past an am pretty sure that it works properly. I will test it on a WIN 98 machine tomorrow and see if it works.

mark.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• Mwerner
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2001

Have the latest version. Can you send me your test install and I will try it also?

Comment

• Mark
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jun 2000

Hi,
        I can send you the files I'm testing with, but I need your e-mail address.

mark.

Comment

• Mwerner
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2001

Of course your program worked just fine and mine continued to fail. Amazing, I can program every language known to man kind but I cannot create a **** shortcut on the desktop using a wizard :-). I guess when you type '%AppDir%/dummy.exe' -vs- '%AppDir%\dummy.exe' you deserve to pull your hair out for an hour or so... I apologize for taking your time because I cannot get my back and forward slahes correct!

Comment

• Mark
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Jun 2000

Hi,
            What is probably happening here is that Setup Factory is unable to find the DLLs because the DEP file does not contain the full path to the DLLs. It is my guess that if you place the full path to the DLLs in the DEP file, then Setup Factory will insert them into your installation properly.
            If you'd like send me the VBP file ( [email protected] and I will definitely take a look at it, and see what I can come up with.

mark.

Comment

Working...
            X