• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FrankDMartinez
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2014

Launching a binary on exit

While I have seen the FAQ entry on being able to launch an application immediately with a button push, I am wondering if it's possible to have an installer launch an application at the installation's exit if the User has checked a particular box beforehand.
  • Ulrich
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Apr 2005

Do you mean this?

Ulrich

Comment

• FrankDMartinez
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2014

Yes!

Thanks very much!

Comment

• FrankDMartinez
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2014

Is there a way to have the binary launch only during the installation and not during the uninstallation?

Comment

• Ulrich
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • Apr 2005

As that screen would be shown only at the end of the installation and not after the uninstall, there was no need to add a condition. However, if you are running the executable at the end of the MSI using a Custom Action, you could use conditions such as "Installed" and "Not Installed" for controlling the execution of the CA.

Ulrich

Comment

• kiwiguy
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2015

Great advice here, but my installer UI hangs as it launches my application EXE. In fact it continues to hang until I exit my application - upon which it closes.

Is there a setting that tells the MSI to launch my application EXE "after" the installation UI closes?

Comment

• Ulrich
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Apr 2005

This sounds like you are checking for the exit code of the program. If you want to close your MSI when the program is launched, ignore the exit code.

Ulrich

Comment

• kiwiguy
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2015

The Custom Action was set to "Ignore" any return code, but I noticed that the built-in help said that this process ran "synchronously". I changed the Return setting to "Async no wait" and it fixed it!

My application EXE now launches successfully as the installer exits.

Comment

Working...
                X