struggle to make a CD with PDF book inside, splashscreen autorun - simples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • okawocastro
    Forum Member
    • May 2012

struggle to make a CD with PDF book inside, splashscreen autorun - simples?

Hi,

I have content to burn to a CD-r , a book loads of PDF's. I want to make a nice 'shiny' autorun menu dialog page that pops up when you put the CD in. then nice shiny dialog splash screen, you can click a button to open the index page to the PDF book.

I have made my nice shiny splash screen with button, and edited the butons properties to refer to the file location of the index.html I want the button to open.

But here is where I hang up, I would expect to find some option to import all the files for my CD, all the PDFs , or what ever content it may be. import it into the project folder, then I would expect the program could build the autorun information relative to all the PDF's in the project folder, so when you publish the project it builds a output folder with all the autorun data files in it , along with the disk 'real' content (html's , pdf's etc)
    so that when you click on the button on the splash screen, the links are all correct and relative to the CD root.

What I dont understand is how to tell Autoplay media 8 how to do this .
    when I am creating the project and link the button to my index.html file from somewhere on my harddrive X:\BookData\Pages\index.html , I can see that when I publish it is importing this file index.html into the output folder. But it does not import all the hundreds of other html pages in my book folder (X:\BookData\Pages\page1.html ..page2.html...page3.html...page4.html....page-n.html) that this index.html page relates to relative to itself.

I publish and it publishes to this new folder i created for the output
    F:\MyBooksFolder\

I can then click on
    F:/MyBooksFolder/autorun.exe

opens pretty splash page, but button didnt open index.html until I figured I had to manually move this file into here:
    F:\MyBooksFolder\AutoPlay\Docs\index.html

and copy all my books files from other original location on hard drive (X:\BookData\Pages\) into this new output folder F:\MyBooksFolder\AutoPlay\Docs\ so that links on index.html are relative & correct at the same level

F:\MyBooksFolder\AutoPlay\Docs\BooksFiles\index.ht ml
    F:\MyBooksFolder\AutoPlay\Docs\BooksFiles\page001. html
    F:\MyBooksFolder\AutoPlay\Docs\BooksFiles\page002. html
    F:\MyBooksFolder\AutoPlay\Docs\BooksFiles\page003. html
    F:\MyBooksFolder\AutoPlay\Docs\BooksFiles\page004. html
    Etc

Im sure Im missing a trick here, and should not have to fork about manually moving files around into folder the publish created, and Im doing it all wrong. Is there a way I can tell Autoplay Media Studio where all my original book files are and import the whole folder across along with and not just the index.html that the button is linked to

that would seem logical to me to start a new project and tell it where all my source files are to be copied from , then designate the output folder.

Can anyone offer any how-to's on this or links to tutorial that covers this.

many thanks
  • okawocastro
    Forum Member
    • May 2012

I think now I have figured out that APM8 does not have a built in function to import all of the projects files into the new Project file (if this is true then its really dumb idea by the developers who could of easily built this in). You have to create a new project in automediastudio8 then manually open the folder in explorer, dig and open the Doc's folder :-
    C:\Users\WORKSTATION\Documents\AutoPlay Media Studio 8\Projects\MyBookProject\CD_Root\AutoPlay\Docs
    then drag the source content that is to be on the CD (html's, mp3, .pdf's etc) into this doc's folder.
    then you can link the buttons to the files, in my case a 'master' index.html. in order that when you publish the project, the index.html is linking relative to location and links work.
    I still think there must already be some import wizard build into this program already, but I cant find it.

Also another thing I notice is that once you publish the project to output folder
    C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\AutoPlay Media Studio 8\Projects\MyBookProject\CD_Root
    it has created 4 files:
    autorun.exe
    icon.ico
    lua5.1.dll
    lua51.dll

But no autorun.inf !! so when you burn on to a CD the thing still does not autorun, you still have to nave to the CD-rom drive and explore to double click on the autorun.exe

so you still have to create and manually edit in notepad a autorun.inf , then drag it to the CDRoot of the published output folder. I just fail to see the point in mediastudio8 if it does not even automate the creation of a autorun.inf
    Im still digging around in the help files to try to find some option somewhere that I have turned off by default as I cant believe software developers who would develop this program would exclude the creation of autorun.inf . I did wonder if it was some fancy other way will the .dll files that makes it autorun I dont know Im not tech savvy , only just taught myself enough to use autorunstudio ,

I always thought any CD or USB device needs a autorun.inf to boot the .exe
    I have tried other things simular to this program, but this autorun studio 8 I thought was the bees-knees , its brilliant for creating the splash screen I need on a CD-r and glad that I didnt just buy it and got the trial, as I still have to do loads of knife and forking around with putting files in correct folder, and build autorun.inf to get it to work. Are these bugs I have run across here and there are fixes for? anyone offer any better way to use this program , or other program where it builds the autorun.inf for you.?

Comment

• okawocastro
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

well I found the Enable AutoPlay feature (Select this option if you want AutoPlay Media Studio to include the autorun.inf file for you. )
      But Even with it selected, it does not build the autorun.inf
      do I need to download the program again?

Comment

• Ulrich
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Apr 2005

Im sure Im missing a trick here, and should not have to fork about manually moving files around into folder the publish created, and Im doing it all wrong. Is there a way I can tell Autoplay Media Studio where all my original book files are and import the whole folder across along with and not just the index.html that the button is linked to
        You can add files and folders from your hard drive to your project using Project > File Layout. Use the "Add to Project" button to easily copy resources into your CD_Root or a sub folder.

well I found the Enable AutoPlay feature (Select this option if you want AutoPlay Media Studio to include the autorun.inf file for you.)
        But Even with it selected, it does not build the autorun.inf
        do I need to download the program again?
        If the autorun.inf is not on the published hard drive folder, make sure that your anti virus is not deleting it automatically. Check the anti virus activity log, if you can find one. You can also try to build an ISO file and check if it is there.

Ulrich

Comment

• Cybergraph
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Feb 2007

It is also necessary to say two additional things:

1. The autorun.inf in USB drives is no longer supported by any version of Windows, due to security reasons.

2. Programming and producing applications of any type require efforts and every programmer or type of production requires different approaches or have a different way of work. By this it is totally logic that, even a quite complete solution like AMS, can not meet all the needs and can not include or foresee the totality of steps required to complete a project.
          So anyone should expect to have the need to accomplish some simple tasks like moving/copying some files and also to get some additional skills to complete activities not (or partially) covered by the development tool.
          We are slowly invading your planet to teach lazy humans to read the user manual.
          But don't be scared: we are here to help.

Comment

• okawocastro
            Forum Member
            • May 2012

I have now managed to complete my first project for my html book. After studying the turorial/help files I found the embeded HTML page , and that was just the ticket. But I still have to create my own Autorun.inf after publishing, even with the autorun enabled at publishing. I dont have any anti virus apart from AVG Free, which is not very agressive, so perhaps there is a bug in my install that causes it not to make the autorun.inf. But I can live with editing my own autorun.inf, as the rest of the program is really phenomenal, I can get into this as I have done quite a lot of custom work with MS Access and VBA.

Now just fiddling around with getting my autorun screen to open Folders at the CDroot level, most of the afternoon without success yet

Comment

• okawocastro
              Forum Member
              • May 2012

now Im into the learning curve of this product im finding its pretty awesome :o)

Comment

• okawocastro
                Forum Member
                • May 2012

I take back any negative inferments made to this product. :-) now I am getting into it , tiz cookin' with gas now. Oh and found out why it was not building the autorun.inf. my system hard drive was nearing full. once I did a clean up of the drive and had 10gig clear in the 60Gig SSD , it ran fast and also built the autorun.inf. So Ive just ordered a new SSD with more headroom for my operating system, prices have tumbled a bit on SSD now so ordered a 240Gig from pixmania on a offer for £149 , just have the some what daunting task of rebuilding my system on a fresh drive. may try a drive duplicator first though to see if I can just replicate the first 60Gig from the old one to the new 240G drive.

Comment

Working...
                X