• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MMe
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2011

Patch only a part of an application

Hi

I am testing VisualPatch 3.5 and now I have a problem patching a part of an application. This is a very important thing we need...

A part of the application is installed on one system (web application, web services) and another part is installed at anothe machine (Windows services). Now I need one patch file which can patch both systems without creating separate patches. This means I cannot use a key file within a subfolders because I don't know which subfolder exists at the system. So I tried to put a simple BAT file in the %APPFOLDER% and use this as a key file. But the patch told me that the software cannot be found.

What is my mistake? It seems to be possible because when I use a key file within a subfolder I can patch a system where the whole application is installed at one machine and I also can patch a system where only the part which contains the keyfile is installed...

I hope anyone can help me...
    Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Marco
  • jassing
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jan 2001

I have two cars, a chevy & vw -- I want one key to operate both.

Your asking to patch two different things with the same patch -- it doesn't really make sense.

VP is designed to take a number of "old files" and create a new file set. Ie: 1 target. You have 2.
    I would use an installer or application to identify which patch is needed, download the appropriate patch (or extract it) and run the required patch.

Comment

• MMe
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2011

Hi

But I tried it with a keyfile in a subfolder "%APPROOT%\SubFolder\keyfile.key" - and here I can update the whole folder structure on one machine and also a part of the application. The only thing I need is the subfolder with the keyfile. But it seems not to work when the keyfile is not in a subfolder - and thats the question: Why does it not work when I choose a keyfile (i.e. test.bat) which is in the %APPROOT% folder?

When I do it in your way I have to create separate patches for each subfolder (each contains one application part) and this seems not to be a good way... Sad...

Regards,
      Marco

Comment

• jassing
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Jan 2001

IF the two programs share at least one common file, and that common file is updated with the patch, then that scheme will work regardless of where the key file is.

Comment

• MMe
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2011

Hey, this was the necessary hint!

I put a simple TXT file with the current version of the app in the %APPFOLDER%. Now it works as expected: I can update the whole application or only one ore more folders...

Thank you very much!

Regards,
          Marco

Comment

Working...
          X