• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figmo
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2000

Variable Text Boxes??

I notice I can specify a variable in a text object but I cannot with a text box object.

Is there any way to dynamically change the text in a text box at run time from the action of another object?

-figmo
  • Mark
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jun 2000

Re: Variable Text Boxes??

Hi,
    There is no real way to dynamically change the Text in a Text Box in AutoPlay. What I would do instead of dynamically changing the Text Box, I would jump to specific page with the changed Text Box. The only problem with this method is that it requires a lot of work.

mark.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• Mark
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Jun 2000

Hi Figmo,
      Just a quick question, why would you want to dynamically change the text in a text box at runtime?

mark.
      MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• Figmo
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2000

I was hoping to use the system in a way it obviously wasn't really designed for. I was hoping to extend it to be not just a flashy menu - but a flashy front end for simple utility applications.

I was hoping to click a button in AMS - launch a utitily - and then pass info back via text file/registry and display that info on the AMS screen.

Simple examples of this might be "YOUR HARDDRIVE HAS 9999 BYTES FREE" or "YOU CURRENTLY HAVE VERSION 9.99 OF OUR SOFTWARE INSTALLED", etc

The specific use I had in mind would return a variable number of lines of information so I needed a way to display 1 or more lines of informational text with a scrollbar(hence the need for a text box instead of a simple text control).

Future versions of AMS should take this into consideration - I feel it would make the system more robust.

-figmo

Comment

• Steven Haase
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jul 2000

Hay Mark; I know, hay is for horses; anyway ... what about using notepad, is it posible to use note pad to input info that could be saved to a file and then read back in by the menu?

It would be great if it could be embeded into AMS.

Comment

• Evoluent
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2000

I hear ya. The ability to import data from an .INI or .TXT file quickly and easily is all my company needs to use this software for all of our software releases.

The current 'Import from .INI' functionality is limited to a variables page that only shows a few variables at a time and is very difficult to manage.

So, how about that AMS Service Pack?

-Tony

Comment

Working...
            X