• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jinjoid
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2003

Uninstaller Error

I've converted a number of SUF 7 projects to SUF 8. However I now have the problem that every single one of them no longer uninstalls. When I attempt to uninstall from Control Panel I get a dialog with the error message

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"

Runtime Error!

Program: ..\MultiResourceClient\uninstall.exe

abnormal program termination

This happens on all 8 installations that I have tried so far. I have inspected the configuration and nothing seems to be amiss.

Any idea of what is going on?

Jinjoid
  • Mark
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jun 2000

Hi jinjoid,

This is an interesting problem, I'm not sure what the issue is. Does this problem happen on all Setup Factory 8.0 installs or just installations that were updated from version 7.0?

If possible could you please try creating your uninstall executable in a new location (Uninstall | Settings: Executable path and filename) and see if that works.

If that does not work please let me know the size and version data of your uninstall executable. Also provide your uninstall configuration file (generally uninstall.xml created in the uninstall folder of %AppFolder%).
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• jinjoid
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2003

Testing... testing...

I have been performing some tests and although what is below is not exactly an answer to your questions I believe I know what the problem is. Your post suggests a workaround that I had not considered.

These tests are with the same project but one using SUF 7 and one with SUF 8 (open 7 project in 8 and save)

- Install SUF 7 Project
      Software installed with uninstall.exe 7.0.6.1 (%WindowsFolder%\%ProductName%\uninstall.exe)

- SUF 8 Project
      Install over top of SUF 7 project uninstall.exe 7.0.6.1 (%WindowsFolder%\%ProductName%\uninstall.exe)

- Attempt to uninstall from Control Panel, generates error message as reported

- Install SUF 7 installer over the top of SUF 8.0 installer and it it can then be uninstalled in Control Panel

- Change the uninstall executable path\filename in SUF 8 project (to use %Appfolder%)
      Installed uninstall.exe version 8.1.1000.0
      Attempted to uninstall and it works correctly

- Changed the SUF 8 project uninstall path back to %WindowsFolder%\%ProductName%\uninstall.exe
      Removed the V7 uninstall exe (%WindowsFolder%\%ProductName%\uninstall.exe) left by the SUF 7 installer

- Installed SUF 8 project again, uninstall.exe version 8.1.1000.0 is added as %WindowsFolder%\%ProductName%\uninstall.exe
      Attempted to uninstall and it worked correctly.

In conclusion it would seem that if a project is created in SUF 7 and its version of uninstall.exe is added to a system the same project in SUF 8.0 is unable to overwrite the uninstall.exe file. It seems to be as simple as that. I have all of the "If Uninstall Already exists" options checked, although there isn't one for overwriting the uninstall.exe. So the problem only occurs on a system that had a version of our software installed (with SUF 7.0) installer first. Even if our software is removed the uninstaller.exe remains and it is not overwritten. As a workaround, if the path is changed for the uninstaller.exe then it works OK.

Hope this helps

Jinjoid

Comment

• Mark
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jun 2000

Hi jinjoid,

Thanks for all of the information. If possible could you please post or email me ([email protected]) a log file from when you install a version 8.0 installation over a version 7.0 installation?

There should be information written to the log file regarding the overwriting of the unisntall.exe so I would like to check on the success or failure of that operation.

Comment

• jinjoid
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jun 2003

Email on its way

I've sent the setup log.txt file to the emai address you specified. Can't see any particular errors.

Cheers

Jinjoid

Comment

• Mark
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Jun 2000

Hi jinjoid,

Thanks for the information. With the information that you provided us we were able to zero in on the problem and fix it.

Comment

• jassing
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jan 2001

I *just* got a call on this and replicated it -- thought I'd do a search before going off on my own.

While the client doesn't want to change his paths for the uninstall data; what I was thinking of doing is:

In "PreInstall" delete the uninstall.exe

would that be a valid workaround?

Comment

• Mark
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Jun 2000

Hi Josh,

It depends on whether or not the issue that you are experience is the same as the one that jinjoid is experiencing.

The general situation is one where the 8.0 install shares the same uninstall location as a 7.0 install and writes custom version information to the 8.0 setup executable.

So during the installation Setup Factory 8.0 mistakenly compares the setup.exe's version information with that of the 7.0 uninstaller. If you write a version less then 7.0 to the 8.0 executable then the uninstall.exe will not be overwritten and problems will occur.

Deleting the uninstall.exe On preinstall is a valid solution as long as the 7.0 installation has already been uninstalled.

Comment

• jassing
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Hi Josh,

It depends on whether or not the issue that you are experience is the same as the one that jinjoid is experiencing.

The general situation is one where the 8.0 install shares the same uninstall location as a 7.0 install and writes custom version information to the 8.0 setup executable.

So during the installation Setup Factory 8.0 mistakenly compares the setup.exe's version information with that of the 7.0 uninstaller. If you write a version less then 7.0 to the 8.0 executable then the uninstall.exe will not be overwritten and problems will occur.

Deleting the uninstall.exe On preinstall is a valid solution as long as the 7.0 installation has already been uninstalled.

Sounds very much like the situation reported.
                  Why does the 7 install need to be unininstalled 1st?

Comment

• jinjoid
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Jun 2003

To tidy up this thread

I thought I would update this thread to say that I've downloaded SUF 8.1.1004.0 and the problem has been successfully fixed.

Thanks, I can move off SUF 7 now!

Jinjoid

Comment

Working...
                    X