Is it at all possible to make a network Media Player???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteevieNiteHeat
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2008

Is it at all possible to make a network Media Player???

Hi!
    Having managed to get my Wii to connect to the router again, I was browsing YouTube, and came across some videos that show how to stream media (music & video) via your PC connected to the net to your Nintendo Wii (Orb & Miimusic are the ones I have tried so far) but the problem with these are, it seems to stream the media out of the house to their servers & then the Wii downloads them and plays them in Opera Browser, now the problem with this is that my upload speed is pretty slow (max of 98KB/s) and video looks really patchy & 'laggy' which brings me to my question;

Is is possible to make a streaming media player I can put on my PC that will stream the media to my Wii? As iam only using 54G wireless, I have a maximum of around 1.44MB/s transfer speed both ways, this will be quicker than uploading to a sever only to be downloaded again, which in effect am uploading & downloading at once, and it is horrible!

the way the wii connects is in this format: my.ip.addressortnumber/musicplayer.swf which brings up another problem, as I haven't got the first clue about shockwave or flash (whichever it is)

any ideas please members?
  • FoxLeader
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2006

Well, first thing I can say is that it's 99% sure it's Flash. Shockwave is less and less used and, when used, it's mostly for games.

As for your project... I'm not sure. You would have to read more about it, but my guess is that it uploads the file to the server, converts it to a Wii-compatible format (in this case, Flash SWF) then downloads it to your Wii. So I'd say that you'd simply have to convert the file in SWF, but I'm not sure,

Comment

• SteevieNiteHeat
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by FoxLeader View Post
      Well, first thing I can say is that it's 99% sure it's Flash. Shockwave is less and less used and, when used, it's mostly for games.

As for your project... I'm not sure. You would have to read more about it, but my guess is that it uploads the file to the server, converts it to a Wii-compatible format (in this case, Flash SWF) then downloads it to your Wii. So I'd say that you'd simply have to convert the file in SWF, but I'm not sure,
      Thanks for what you'r saying Fox!

Would there be an easier & maybe quicker way to create what I need?
      Myabe using flash or some equivilant?

Baiscally the program needs to record somewhere (maybe registry or file) of the loctaions of music & video I have, then from my wii (or other browser connected to my network) to load a page that will display the List of the locations, and when clicked, will play it, and the player will need basic play, pause, next, Previous etc controls.

I really looking forward to some starting point here!

Comment

• Ulrich
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by SteevieNiteHeat View Post
        Is is possible to make a streaming media player I can put on my PC that will stream the media to my Wii?
        Looks to me that the miimusic software does exactly that. From their website: "Miimusic only streams your music through your own local network. So nobody can download, stream or abuse your music network."

It shouldn't matter if you have a slow internet connection - it isn't used anywhere in the process, as you stream your music directly from your PC to your Wii...

Comment

• SteevieNiteHeat
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by upeters View Post
          Looks to me that the miimusic software does exactly that. From their website: "Miimusic only streams your music through your own local network. So nobody can download, stream or abuse your music network."

It shouldn't matter if you have a slow internet connection - it isn't used anywhere in the process, as you stream your music directly from your PC to your Wii...
          While you are correct with MiiMusic, the same is not the case for Orb, and it is mainly the streaming of movies that I really need to make, the music part aint as important, but if it CAN be done, then thats an added bonus!

Comment

• Ulrich
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Apr 2005

Have you tried PiMPStreamer?

Comment

• SteevieNiteHeat
              Forum Member
              • Jun 2008

No I havent yet, never heard of it till now! I will try it as soon as my new wireless network is setup!

Thanks for that link!

Comment

• SteevieNiteHeat
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2008

It looks good, but its for the PSP not the wii, it has special files just for the psp unfortunately :(

Comment

• SteevieNiteHeat
                  Forum Member
                  • Jun 2008

Have tried it and to be quite honest it was worse quality than Orb!

I really NEED to get started so PLEASE help me!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X