• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pelican
    Forum Member
    • May 2008

Does APMS 7 Have Virus Embedded

May seem like a silly question but considering the EULA in this app, Indigo Rose does NOT guarantee that there are no viruses embedded in the software package. Could I ask if there ARE any in there.

WARRANTY DISCLAIMER; LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. INDIGO ROSE PROVIDES THE SOFTWARE "AS-IS" AND PROVIDED WITH ALL FAULTS. NEITHER INDIGO ROSE NOR ANY OF ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS MAKES ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. INDIGO ROSE AND ITS SUPPLIERS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SYSTEM INTEGRATION, AND DATA ACCURACY. THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE THAT THE OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE, OR VIRUS-FREE, OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET ANY PARTICULAR CRITERIA OF PERFORMANCE, QUALITY, ACCURACY, PURPOSE, OR NEED. YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK OF SELECTION, INSTALLATION, AND USE OF THE SOFTWARE. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS AGREEMENT. NO USE OF THE SOFTWARE IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER.
  • clueless
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2006

...wouldnt that be counter-productive to selling software and making money?

Comment

• ShadowUK
      No longer a forum member
      • Oct 2007

The answer is no.

Comment

• Pelican
        Forum Member
        • May 2008

As I am new to this forum, I don't know who's who around here. With all due respect can I ask Do you know that definately, or are you only guessing, 'cos you're a great supporter of APMS?

Comment

• Pelican
          Forum Member
          • May 2008

To Clueless

It may seem counter productive, but I have come across apps before that have carried bombs embedded in the code that could be triggered by an event or even remotely.

Comment

• longedge
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Aug 2003

You have to distinguish between the runtime (enabling) software and the applications that are written with AMS.

Nobody can guarantee that finished applications won't have something nasty embedded. That's down to whoever created the application using AMS.

The authoring software and runtime are free from malware, what people create with AMS is another question and a user with any sense will always have good, up-to-date virus/malware protection in place.

That's my view for what it's worth

Comment

• RizlaUK
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • May 2006

lol

thats a standard disclaimer, a virus could attach itself to the APMS installer while downloading, you install and lose a load of files and look to IR for compo, this is just some leagle protection for IR, surly all software programers protect them self this way, i put a disclaimer at the end of the licence for all my apps, altho i would never make or release a app with a virus, i still need to protect myself incase it dose happen.
              Embrace change in your life, you never know, it could all work out for the best

Comment

• Lorne
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Feb 2001

If the purpose of that part of the EULA was so we could infect your system with a virus, do you really think we'd say so?

That's like asking the person you fear is poisoning you if they put anything in your glass.

To answer your original question, no, we certainly do not intentionally include any viruses with AutoPlay 7.

If you're looking to purchase a virus, you'll have to look elsewhere.

That part of the EULA exists because software, like any file, can be modified once it leaves our protection. (For all we know your ISP could be out to get you, and all your files are being infected as they pass through their servers...)
                --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Pelican
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2008

Thank You Lorne, as a developer with Indigo Rose I'll take your assurance on face value. No worries.

Got a few replies on my first post though. Helps me get to know people.

Comment

• Lorne
                    Indigo Rose Staff Member
                    • Feb 2001

No worries here as well.

To be honest I'm amazed to meet someone who actually read the EULA. I suspect you are a rare bird, Mr. Pelican.
                    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• eric_darling
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Jun 2002

See, Lorne? Your hard work not going unnoticed after all!
                      Eric Darling
                      eThree Media
                      http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• rexzooly
                        No longer a forum member
                        • Jul 2007

I have to stick up for AMS here i love it to bits yes i fallen down in my work
                        been a busy boy lol but wat ever no vires at all love the software there are
                        100's of All in Ones made with AMS that have *****ed what had enbeded vires
                        and thinks like that but never seen AMS its self to have anything within it :yes

Comment

• Pelican
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2008

Why I read EULA's

I bought a cheap Canon printer 'cos I worked for a cheapskate. In Oz there is a company that supplies generic ink cartridges that are half the price of the original ones. I have used these for a long time without problems. I duly bought one of each for the Canon, and the colour one didn't work. I took it back and they tested it, they said it was o.k, but gave me another one which also didn't work. They sent them away for testing, and it seems that Canon in their EULA allows them (When one clicks the "I Agree" button) to either upload to your computer, or activate in the printer's software something that disables the printer's ability to accept generic cartridges. Apparently there is a workaround but I couldn't be bothered. So I ditched both the printer and the job. I knew that it was my fault for not reading the EULA.
                          I take the point of the poisoned glass, but seeing that this exercise is not fatal, I feel that I am pretty safe to ask questions. I only read the EULA's on products that I feel that are worth (a) testing on my P.C, (b) paying for, and (c) there are no freeware apps that are better.
                          I suppose in a way that it is a backhanded compliment to the Company. Although it would stand in good stead legally if a company denied putting in a virus, when their software could do damage to a users computer.

Comment

• FoxLeader
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2006

I understand. That's good reasons, but usually I just go over them in half a second. If there's anything that catches my attention, then I read the details. And it happens sometimes. For exemple, those freewares that install some kind of ad-producer "tool"bar...

Anyway, I think that there's a risk in "eastern" (ex: Russia, Romania,...) or some African countries (that's just exemples) to have malicious files/programs since there's no real law or because with corruption, anybody can go around the law. But in USA, Canada, France, Spain, UK, Germany, Italy,... There's some pretty strong law that are applied 99% of the time so the risk that a real company does this is pretty low.

Comment

Working...
                            X