• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfair
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Aug 2005

File CRC mismatch – data integrity error

What is this warning? A bad disk copy? It occurs on some machines when installing our application but not others. I have been altering the files themselves - but not changing the file structure or any other properties like destination or name etc. - and regenerating the setups many times over as we test. Is there some sort of refresh that is needed within Setup Factory?
  • Adam
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • May 2000

How do you get the file(s) onto the target machine (eg CD, Download, Network, USBdrive) ?

CRC mismatch means corrupted install file.

if Network or Download then
    -- It could be network caching
    elseif CD then
    -- It could be a bad burn, or a bad disk
    elseif USBkey then
    -- It could be windows caching it
    end

Sorry for the cheesy code answer but it's Friday!

Adam Kapilik

Comment

• Mike Linacre
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jan 2001

Sometimes see this message if the target file to be replaced is read-only, or the install needs Administrator privileges, but doesn't have them.

Comment

• pww
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Jun 2005

you can set your installer to require admin privileges and inform the user and abort if he/she doesn't have admin privileges. I always make my installers that way, otherwise there could be various problems if non-admin runs them.

As for read-only files, you can surely handle this.
        Don't know if it's possible to set SF to automatically replace read-only files (don't have SF on this PC). If not, there is File.SetAttributes action you can use before replacing to remove read-only attributes. If a file is in use (File.IsInUse), you can use File.DeleteOnReboot or File.MoveOnReboot actions.

Comment

• tfair
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Aug 2005

Thanks for these answers. Adam: I guess I'll assume it was a bad disk burn, because it's a CD we're using to install the product.
          As for the read-only possibility, there aren't any read-only files in the program, although there is one hidden file. If the problem persists, I'll consider looking at the hidden file as the problem.

Comment

• tfair
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Aug 2005

One more thing I should also note: Despite the error, the program loaded and ran properly.

Comment

• Jason Pate
              Forum Member
              • Jan 2002

If the files are on the "External" tab in the SF7 project, and the install is not getting rebuild, after modifying the file(s) contents, this would cause the CRC values to change and generate this the error in question.

You can do one of two things,

1.REBUILD your install (everytime you make a file change)
              2. In the SF7 project change the file properties check the "Disable CRC check" option.

Whenever you change the file contents you change the CRC value.

Reason this error might be an issue on some and not other installs is the over right option for that file.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mike Linacre
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Jan 2001

tfair wrote: "there aren't any read-only files in the program"

The CRC problem can happen when over-cautious users set files on their computers to "read-only" to avoid accidentally deleting them. Then installs that try to overwrite those files can report CRC errors, but the programs continue to work fine with the un-updated files.

Comment

• tfair
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Aug 2005

Thanks for the clarification Mike - now I get it.

Jason: Yes I do have external files - I'm going to disable the CRC check as suggested. Very helpful - I'll also look at the other issues you mention and see if I can implement a more savvy solution.

Comment

Working...
                  X