• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdundee
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2005

Serial verification

I have two questions:

1. I want to check every time my application starts that the serial entered (and lets say stored in the registry during installation) is correct. Does SUF have a SDk or a dll that I can use to validate the stored serial by calling the dll file and passing the serial every time my application start. Of course if the serial verification fails then my application can detect that something is wrong. In other words, in addition to checking the serial during installation can I verify the serial (entered during installation) every time my application starts?

2. Is it possible for SUF to generate one or more same serials for two separate SUF users (creating serials for their own separate products)?

Thanks.
  • Adam
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • May 2000

1) IndigoRose does not have a product focused on checking the serial when your software runs. There may be some dll examples in these forums but I don't have anything off hand.

2) I don't quite understand this question. Please explain further and I am sure that we can come up with a response.

Adam Kapilik

Comment

• cdundee
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2005

Thanks Adam.

I think (I could be wrong) writing my own DLL to check the serial number generated by SUF will not work because I dont know or have the algorithm used in SUF to generate the serial number. A less secure option would be to first generate lets say 1000 serial numbers in SUF and then include those 1000 serial numbers in my application as text strings and retrieve the serial number used during installation and check against each of those text strings. Also I would have to change my application and installer if I end up needing more than 1000 serial numbers some time in the future. But what I want to do is to be able to retrieve the serial number used during installation and check it against the algorithm dynamically.

Please allow me to clarify my 2nd question. I was wondering if the serial number generation tool in SUF would generate at least one same key for two people (living world apart) and using the tool. I guess what are the chances that the serial number generation tool will generate the same serial number key more than once.

Thanks.
      Last edited by cdundee; 01-28-2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• pww
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Jun 2005

AFAIK there is no algorithm for generating serials in SF - they are strings filled with random characters, following a pattern provided by you.
        So there is no way for you to have the same algorithm in your app, it should keep the whole list of serials (or their hashes, as in SF), and you should check each serial against the whole list.
        If you want the serials to match some rules, you should create lists for SF yourself with your own algorithm and then use the same algorithm in your app to verify them.

Generating the same key is possible(if same mask is used and keys are random) but mostly theoretically. For example a 10-chars sequence of random A-Z a-z 0-9 chars may have 62^10 variations (hope I'm not wrong with maths

Comment

Working...
        X