• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loes
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Dec 2007

Newbie question: can I use all TTFs?

Question: I see that I can use all fonts on my system for labels, paragraphs etc.
    Is it safe to use special fonts which my users probably don't have on their computer? Or should I use web safe TTF's like tahoma, verdana, arial etc?

Thanks in advance,

Loes
  • crj
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2005

Short answer:YES

Comment

• karnivore
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2008

Absolute NOOb here.

Do you mean that i can use special fonts, which may not be installed on the users system.

Comment

• Loes
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by karnivore View Post
        Absolute NOOb here.

Do you mean that i can use special fonts, which may not be installed on the users system.
        Yes, you can use all fonts.
        I tested it and used a very special dingbat font of which I am sure it's not installed on my test computer and the project shows everything perfectly.

The only difference between my own computer where I built the project and the test computer: the colors on the other monitor are lighter than on my own monitor, so I know now that I have to use darker colors to get the right effect.

Hope this helps,

Loes

Comment

• Derek
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • May 2001

Just for clarity, regarding the fonts: the font files are included in the project build - this is done automatically by AMS.
          So if you use a really whacky font it will be included for use in the project and, thus, play fine from the CD wherever you take it.
          -
          = Derek
          ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• RizlaUK
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • May 2006

Just for clarity, regarding the fonts: the font files are included in the project build - this is done automatically by AMS.
            So if you use a really whacky font it will be included for use in the project and, thus, play fine from the CD wherever you take it.
            also you will need to register the font on the target system (System.RegisterFont)
            Embrace change in your life, you never know, it could all work out for the best

Comment

• Loes
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by RizlaUK View Post
              also you will need to register the font on the target system (System.RegisterFont)
              Hmmm, it all ran fine on the other computer without registering the font with a System.RegisterFont script! I checked again and that special QuiltBlock.ttf I used to test my project is NOT on the test computer and still my project showed it just fine.

But your reply makes me a bit hesitant to use special fonts: think I'll just stay with the web-save fonts after all.

Thanks,
              Loes

Comment

• pakapaka
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Jan 2007

...hmmm I developed a CD for customer release only to find out that our corporate font (i.e. The Sans) did not display correctly on all the PCs I checked.

In the end, I had to move back to Arial, precisely because my boss thought it is not reasonable to register a font when all the customer wants to do is to view a CD containing a few brochures and movies.

.....is there a way to embed fonts without having to register them.

Comment

• pjborg
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2001

pakapaka,

Is the font you tried to use a valid Windows .TTF file? I'm pretty sure AMS incorporates any ttf font that you care to use, and will display it properly without a need to formally register it on the system. That's been my experience.

Comment

Working...
                  X