• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zL0rd
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2007

FirmWare Number Of HDD ?

hi all , i just wanna ask ya , does any1 have an idea how -to get the firmware number of the harddisk , coz all i could get in setup factory 7 is the Volume ID ? so i wanna make a protection that is based on the Real Firmaware Number ....
    Thanks a Lot Guys bye
  • pww
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2005

I don't think this is possible with the available actions. This info is not available in the registry.
    I've seen some examples of how to do this using WMI , so you can probably do it with a .vbs file or an external exe/dll included in your installer.
    But even with WMI, I think it's not possible to get this info for all drives (like SATA)

Comment

• zL0rd
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2007

well

hi man thanks for ur suggestion at z first , now second i am asking whether i can make setup factory compare the hdd manufcturer serial with an integer i give it , as for vb , i have a little program that extractes the HDD Firmaware number ... thanks a lot

ps: do u know whether the hdd firmware number is stored in a reg file or sys file or somewhere ?

Comment

• pww
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by zL0rd View Post
        whether i can make setup factory compare the hdd manufcturer serial with an integer i give it , as for vb , i have a little program that extractes the HDD Firmaware number ... thanks a lot
        to compare it with something, SF must be able to read it first, which it can't do with the available actions.
        So you should first run a .vbs or another file from SF, read the result it returns, and then compare.
        Normally the HDD serial is a string, not integer.

IMO it is much better to put any protection mechanisms into the application itself, not in the installer. When protection is in the installer, a legitimate user may install the application, and then repack and distribute it with the protection removed (without the installer)

ps: do u know whether the hdd firmware number is stored in a reg file or sys file or somewhere ?
        looks like it's not stored in a file or registry.

Comment

• zL0rd
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2007

hi

well 1st 10x for ur reply n ur time , now as for the protection method i guess ur right that an advanced user can repack the program ,n i am trying to figure out a way to stop that like inserting an error file or a file that cannot be copied from one location to another , but i intented to make he software a portable one on a protected cd that runs without install if necessary ....
          so if u have any suggestions that can help me i would be thankfull man

now as for the serial number stored in a registry file or some file , i guess it it some how else how can a vb application extract it @ z end it works in z systems environment got my point ?
          so if u have any code that i can add to my setup file that imports a vb file i would plz know how to ...
          again 10x 4 ur time byez

Comment

Working...
          X