How many of you registered users used the trial version first before buying the full version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

How many of you registered users used the trial version first before buying the full version?

Hi all. We're trying to do a bit of market research here amongst owners of the full version of AMS, please help us by answering the following question:

Did you try the trial version of AutoPlay Media Studio first before purchasing the full version? And if so, please give a couple quick words regarding what it was about the trial version which most influenced you to purchase the full version?

Thanks for your help everybody...

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software
  • Worm
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jul 2002

Re: How many of you registered users used the trial version first before buying the full version?

I did try the trial first. Although AMS isn't as costly as other programs, I love to be able to try out a product before purchasing. I almost never would purchase a product without at least using it to see if it meets my needs.

The main reason for my purchase was the power to dollar ratio. The more I used AMS, the more I realized what I *could* do with it. Remember, I'm a VB guy. I downloaded AMS merely to make autorun installs for my VB apps. Once I took the time to learn AMS, I've replaced several VB apps with AMS apps. Best part, no runtimes, and less problems!

In a nut shell, simply being able to use the product and realizing what it could do before my purchase was the biggest selling point.

Comment

• eric_darling
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2002

Re: How many of you registered users used the trial version first before buying the full version?

Absolutely. I very rarely buy anything sight unseen, especially something as unknown as a piece of software.

What made me buy was seeing how easy it was to create stuff. Plain and simple - ease of use is the name of the game for me when discussing multimedia. I bought at version 3, so you know I was sacrificing some features found in other multimedia authoring apps in order to choose AMS. It was strictly how approachable the software was that made me want it.

Turns out it was a pretty darned good decision, if I do say so myself. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The software has gotten more powerful with version 4 (and I have grown with it), and IR has some of the best customer support and customers around. I am sure AMS will remain an important part of my arsenal for a long time.
      Eric Darling
      eThree Media
      http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• Scally
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2002

I'd never buy something without being able to see its full capabilities. Many 'disabled' trials limit the users chance to really try the software.
        I tried AMS for its autorun/installation facilities - but soon saw its potential for taking over as the main engine for what I do - mainly training based multimedia stuff for corporates.
        Scally

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Sep 2002

I was fortunate to be introduced to AMS 4.0 through work, so I did not try the trial version first. I was called upon to assist with a project that was started but not finished and had to learn quick what AMS was capable of and how to apply that in the project. After working with AMS a bit I was interested to see what other products there were for CD AutoPlay creation and came to the conclusion that there was not anything else out there that could do what AMS is capable of doing.

I am happy to continue to use AMS in what ever projects I am able to work them into. The power and flexibility make this type of CD intereface creation nearly limitless. Even though I have not tried the Trial, I am happy to see companies out there that are willing to provide the full capabilities of their product for trial purposes. And the support that can be found in the forums is fantastic, not only from the responsive IR employees but other customers of their products.

Tigg
          TJ-Tigger
          "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
          "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
          Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• AGRO
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2000

Like everyone else here, I do normally try the software before I buy the program. In this case I did not.

AMS was introduced to me by a co-worker who was using AMS. I have been using Macromedia Flash since version 4 and although Flash is a powerful program, I wanted something that would not take me as long to make the same project. In an afternoon I understood most of the basic function of AMS and had two projects finished, and aproved by clients.

I used AMS when clients did not what alot of "Flash style" animations. Now since version 4 with the flash object option I find myself using AMS about 60% of the time compared to Flash. Since version 3 I have purchased the upgrade the same week the new version was released. I am a die hard fan.

Comment

• RobertB
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Nov 2000

I might have tried the trial version...I do not remember....I was just starting my biz, was on a buy-software binge, and IR was well indexed with google. Once I explored the site, (back in the v 3.0 days) I could tell this was going to be a quick learning curve to assist in the basic autoplay process (b4 XP and it's now inherent feature of an autoplay). At the same time I purchased Macromedia Director 8 and quickly determined the learning curve was too steep. All I needed was a product that allowed me to to quickly (meaning <$$$) build various interactive marketing CD-ROMs and mostly the biz card shaped.

I guess as a small business owner my need is still the same. My line card of products and services is fairly broad but cohesive but I am still single staffed. So, I am willing to pay more for software that is more intuitive so I can produce items that reflect the nature and namesake of my business - North Star Multimedia.

So, maybe that ends up being more of a diatribe than a direct answer to your question.

Oh, the other quick and discernable fact that became quite obvious - the support via this BB was unequaled. Which means even if I did not understand the capabilities of the product I was buying, I felt confident that with this level of service I could end up where I needed to be. Maybe that helps you to know that more.

Thanks for everything that you do. Again, I know I have tapped very little of the potential for Autoplay Studio, but I would consider myself a die-hard loyalist based on the incredible committment the 4 or so of staff and neighborhood supports put forth around here.

Besides my twisted sense of humor, I wish I could offer more technical expertise to other newbs...but, you have not 86'ed me outa here yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

• Bruce
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Jun 2001

Yep! I need to try before buying also. I was looking for something other then the code heavy mother of all learning curves Director. I stumbled across AMS and was blown away by the tech support.

Comment

• kpsmith
                  Forum Member
                  • Jul 2000

Yep, I built my first project completely in the demo before I actually purchased it. That was my test to see if it would meet my needs.

On a side note...Since purchasing I've recommended it to several co-workers and they actually bought it before trying it.

Seems that it is one of these two purchase paths for most of us.

Comment

• ovm
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Oct 2002

Because I was invited to be an APMS 4.0 beta-tester I did not use the trial version. Ok, you could say the beta-version is also a trial version [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    The first time I met APMS was version 2.0 , in 1995. In that days the name was Autoplay Menu Studio. I got it from "Shareware.com".
                    Shure I tried the trial version before I bought the full version 2.0.
                    Since that time i'm a huge fan of APMS. So I upgraded for the 2 next versions, with the knowlegde that every upgrade is worth the money. So I will upgrade in the future!

For most new products I do not buy them without I tried the trial version.

gr. Mario
                    programming is very easy, just put the characters in the right order....

Comment

• John-oh
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Jun 2000

I think I had the Version prior to 4, I think it was called Auto Menu Play. I think I downloaded the trial, and was impressed by the ease of use, and its stability.

I'm a big IR fan - I started with Setup Factory (4 I think)
                      Cheers

Comment

• CelticDragon
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Jun 2003

Raising hands in the air and waving like I just don't care!

Just bought the full version last night, have to download it later today when the network is quiet! Have been using the trial version for 15 days (half way through the trial period).

I have absolutely NO programming experience (I just about know what VB stands for) but I have been able to implement LOADS of cool things for our company CD rom and some other side projects for friends including a knowledge test and fluidly using most aspects of what I know.

I also have to commend the users (and staff) on this board, who are genuinely helpful and supportive of us newbies and give a lot of their time and expertise to help us implement new and exciting features in AMS.

Looking forward to the tutorials coming out soon and would feel that the program is so intuitive that I should be able to rival Microsoft Office by the end of the month! (Perhaps not, but the scope of possibilities is quite extensive!)

In short: I downloaded the trial version, was slightly scared by the programming but the tutorials that came with it explained everything very well, used it to create some pretty funky CDs and now am the proud owner of my very own (not downloaded yet) full version!

Well done to all!

Taking my arms down now as I am getting tired....
                        If you can read this, i have yet to write a witty and imaginative signature.... sorry...

Comment

• yosik
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Jun 2002

Hi,
                          Same here. Tried it out, then decided to buy. I had ver 3.0, but wouldn't go to 4.0 without trying it out.
                          I did, and got hooked. Not only am I integrating AMS4 in my workflow, but have bought 20 licenses to teach AMS as our main authoring platform.
                          I just hope further advancements, especially with transitions and other dynamic stuff will appear soon.
                          Keep up the good work.
                          Yossi

Comment

• Aleostax
                            Forum Member
                            • Jun 2003

A coworker found it for his hobby and introduced the idea to me, so I downloaded the trial and did a preliminary project. 2 days of development time and I convinced my company to purchase it.

I have limited VB skills, but even having been out of the scene for several years, the ease of creating the action code was great. I produced my first entire project in 5 business days. Among the featured actions are Internet checks for online content, Multiple Dialog boxes, Software installation launches, Hotspot activated pages, auto fill text boxes on mouseovers, CD browsing. I also played with but did not implement MP3, Video, Flash Objects, and Registry actions.

This is definitely one of my favorite pieces of software.

Although I think as a feature request I would like the ability to code directly into the action box with syntax autocorrect, I found this product absolutely wonderful. Specifically I would like to hand code the control structure commands. I mean it's much easier for me to write the commands than to find each command in the action tree and drag it over, only to fill the form. Being able to type it all in would prevent me from switching over to the mouse numerous times just to create a small loop.

My only complaint is the autorun.exe issues posted elsewhere on the forum. The custom icon on the executable is an absolute must in my opinion. The build properties inside, not so much. Especially if we could propagate some of our own company information into the exe.
                            I don't mind that the customers know what software I used to create the package, it's a great set of code. I would just like it to appear the end package (in this case a CD-ROM installer) was developed/authored/designed by my company and not something we purchased ready-made. Displaying a credits at the end of the application, just doesn't cut it.

Comment

• Corey
                              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                              • Aug 2002

Zowie! You are definitely a friend of IR yossi...

Corey Milner
                              Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Working...
                              X