• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Staggan
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2006

Urgent! Key File no longer working

Hello.

We have been using Visual Patch for almost a year now, without issue. We have a product that we make a monolithic patch for once a month or so, until now this has been fine.

We use the executable as the key file and this has worked without issue until today.

We are now getting Software Not Found...

We have a folder for each version of the application we release, so version 1, 2, 3, 4 etc are complete and in seperate folders....

I am trying to patch version 3 to 4 but it says it cannot find version 3.

I have checked the MD5 of the version 3 executable against the MD5 of the executable in the path for the patch builder and they match....

This means that we have updated our servers and now NONE of our previous users can update their software....

Can you please help

Thanks
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Staggan View Post
    We have a folder for each version of the application we release, so version 1, 2, 3, 4 etc are complete and in seperate folders....

I am trying to patch version 3 to 4 but it says it cannot find version 3.

I have checked the MD5 of the version 3 executable against the MD5 of the executable in the path for the patch builder and they match....
    Did you also check the MD5 of the version 3 executable on the target system?

What version detection method are you using? (Getting the path from the registry, etc.?)

Are there any other key files in the version?

This means that we have updated our servers and now NONE of our previous users can update their software....

Can you please help
    I would try patching with verbose logging enabled, to see if there are any clues to what's happening.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Staggan
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2006

Hello.

We have always used the registry to locate the application folder and this has always been fine.

Yes I checked the MD5 on the target system it was the same.

How do I turn on verbose logging and where will the log file be?

Thanks

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

Hello.

We have always used the registry to locate the application folder and this has always been fine.

Yes I checked the MD5 on the target system it was the same.
        Gotcha.

You might want to make sure there aren't any other key files defined in that version.
        How do I turn on verbose logging and where will the log file be?
        Go to Project > Settings, Advanced tab. Enabled the "Create log file" option, and change the "Include action details" setting from "Errors" to "Extended errors."

You can specify the path to the log file on that tab.

Comment

• Staggan
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2006

I managed to find extended logging, and found the log file it genereated.

Here is the last addition...

[07/12/2007 21:30:48] Success Patch started: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Patches\Staggan Patches\UFPatch.exe
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Notice Patch engine version: 2.0.4.0
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Notice Product: United Football
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Success Language set: Primary = 9, Secondary = 1
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Success Include script: _Global_Functions.lua
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Notice Start project event: Global Functions
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Success Run project event: Global Functions
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Notice Start project event: On Startup
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Error Could not locate software on system
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Success Run project event: On Startup
          [07/12/2007 21:30:48] Success Display screen: Cannot Locate Software
          [07/12/2007 21:30:50] Success Delete image file: C:\DOCUME~1\Martyn\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_vp2_temp_0\IR IMG1.BMP
          [07/12/2007 21:30:50] Success Delete image file: C:\DOCUME~1\Martyn\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_vp2_temp_0\IR IMG2.BMP
          [07/12/2007 21:30:50] Success Delete image file: C:\DOCUME~1\Martyn\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_vp2_temp_0\IR IMG1.JPG
          [07/12/2007 21:30:50] Success Delete image file: C:\DOCUME~1\Martyn\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_vp2_temp_0\IR IMG3.BMP
          [07/12/2007 21:30:50] Success Delete image file: C:\DOCUME~1\Martyn\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_vp2_temp_0\IR IMG4.BMP
          [07/12/2007 21:30:50] Success Delete image file: C:\DOCUME~1\Martyn\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_vp2_temp_0\IR IMG2.JPG
          [07/12/2007 21:30:50] Notice Exit patch process (Return code: 1210)

Not a lot of help, unless I can get more information?

Thanks

Comment

• Lorne
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Feb 2001

Yes, sorry that wasn't as helpful as I remembered.

You'll need to insert some actions in the On Startup script to investigate further.

For instance, you should check what value is being retrieved from the registry:

Code:
            -- Location method: Registry key
            -- Read a folder path from the Registry.
            if not g_InstalledVersion then
            	local MainKey = HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
            	local SubKey = SessionVar.Expand("Software\\%CompanyName%\\%ProductName%");
            	local ValueName = "InstallFolder";
            	local FolderPath = Registry.GetValue(MainKey, SubKey, ValueName);
            	[COLOR="Blue"]Dialog.Message("FolderPath", FolderPath);[/COLOR]
            	g_InstalledVersion = VisualPatch.CheckFolderVersion("%AppFolder%", FolderPath);
            	if g_InstalledVersion then
            		SessionVar.Set("%AppFolder%", FolderPath);
            	end
            end
            Did you check whether there are any other key files in version 3?

Also make sure each key file's destination path is set to %AppFolder%.

Comment

• Staggan
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2006

Hi Lorne..

Actually Adam is looking into it for us...

Nothing has changed. The SAME patch setup works if I build the patch for the previous version....

The code snippet you posted is what we use already.... perhaps you could give me a snippet to display the path it finds on the screen?

Thanks

Martyn

Comment

• Lorne
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Feb 2001

The code snippet you posted is what we use already.... perhaps you could give me a snippet to display the path it finds on the screen?
                That's what this line does in the snippet I posted:

Code:
                Dialog.Message("FolderPath", FolderPath);

Comment

• Lorne
                  Indigo Rose Staff Member
                  • Feb 2001

Nothing has changed. The SAME patch setup works if I build the patch for the previous version....
                  To be clear of what you're saying, if you build the version 2 to 3 patch with the same project, it works, but the version 3 to 4 patch does not?

It sounds to me like an issue with the registry value, or the key files -- for example if you had another file marked as a key file that is missing or different on the target system, that would prevent the version from being identified.

Try sorting the file list by the Key File column to see if there are any other key files defined in version 3 and version 4.

What is the exact destination path for each key file in version 3 and version 4?

What value is the patch getting from the registry for the install location?

Comment

Working...
                  X