• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonK
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jul 2007

Setups not running on Windows Vista

Hi Guys,

I have been using Setup Factory 6.0 very successfully for a few years now (fantastic product). I usually build setups with files in the 'CD-Rom' tab, i.e. files pulled directly off the CD during installation. My lastest products have grown larger that 700MB and so I have started using the archive tab and a having a setup.exe of 600MB and then setup.2 with the remaining data.

My 'CD' installs run on Windows Vista with no issues but I have the following issue with my 'archive' installs; When I run the installer Vista will lock-up, sometimes for as long as 20 mins. I will then get the Vista security dialogue 'do you want to allow setup.exe to run'. The installer then runs with no further issues.

I downloaded the Setup Factory 7.0.6.1 trial but archive setups created with this have the exact same issue.

Strangely, if I boot Vista into SafeMode the installers all run as expected with no issues. I have tested on multiple PCs with Vista Business and Vista Home Premium. The same setups run on XP with no issues.

Can anyone suggest any possible causes, and more importantly any fixes?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
  • JXBURNS
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2001

Is there any reason why you are limiting yourself to a 700MB SETUP.EXE instead of using the DVD option or better still the WEB option where everything is in one SETUP.EXE?

I would be very surprised if SUF6 can install on Vista satisfactorily when the setup is split into more than one setup component. SUF6 is now an old system and certainly Vista was not even a twinkle in Bill Gates' eyes when it was developed. SUF7 is designed to allow installation on Vista as long as the correct privileges are marked in the PROJECT SETTINGS -> ADVANCED tab. However I have seen Vista's UAC objecting to the use of what it thinks is a second SETUP program i.e. SETUP.2 which is why I always package up using the WEB option.

Alternatively you may want to look at the new Setup Factory for Windows Installer which creates true MSI installer files which Vista has no major problems with as it uses Windows Installer technology.

Rgds John

Comment

• JonK
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jul 2007

I decided against switching to DVD-Rom as most of our users simply don't have DVD drives. I have also been evaluating Setup Factory for Windows Installer but have not yet got to grips with it; my install fails as soon as I add any Start Menu shortcuts - but thats for another day!

I have done some more tests (on 200 MB archives to reduce test build time) and have found the following:

With 'Project Settings\Requirements\User must have admin rights' selected as true, the lock-up occurs.

With 'Project Settings\Requirements\User must have admin rights' and 'Project Settings\Advanced\Requested User Privilege' set to 'Require Administrator', the lock-up occurs.

With 'User must have admin rights' set to false and 'Requested User Privilege' set to 'As invoker' or 'Highest available' the lock-up does not occur. Hooray! However, with 'As invoker' selected the installer failed due to a lack of privileges.

So it seems as if you do not require admin rights, and set the 'Requested User Privilege' set to 'Highest Available' the installer runs ok.

I now need to do a full test with 800 MB of data and 2 setup files but I will report my results.

Sorry for the long post (again) but I hope this helps other users.

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

• JXBURNS
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2001

Jon,

One further thing to note with Vista is that the setup failing very much depends on whether you are trying to update key system files. I would recommend, if not already done, is to turn on verbose logging and this may give you an indication as to where the lock-up is occurring.

John

Comment

• JonK
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jul 2007

Hi,

The install locks-up before it even begins to run. As I am using the trial version of Setup Factory 7, the lock-up occurs before I even see the 'This setup was created with an evaluation version' screen.

The installer is not modifying any system files or doing anything particulary clever. It is literally just copying some files (Macromedia Shockwave files) to the Program Files folder and setting up shortcuts and the uninstall.

I have now built my full 800 MB installer and unfortunately the lock-ups are back. The duration of the lock-up is reduced to only about 3 mins though, unless I use the 'As Invoker' privilege setting, then the lock-up goes away. Incidentally, it definitely seems that the duration of the lock-up is related to the size of the package. I guess Vista is examining the package for something?

During the lock-ups, Task Manager reports no activity anywhere.

If only Vista was made by Grolsch......

Thanks for reading.

Jon

Comment

• JXBURNS
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2001

Program Files folder is considered to be a protected folder in Vista and subject to elevation privileges.

One thought I had is whether you are trying to run this from a shared folder in Virtual PC or Server? I have seen same symptoms unless I copy the installer to the guest hard drive first. Certainly the installers I have built, admittedly not 800MB, install fine under Vista within Virtual PC.

Are you logged on as a user in Vista or as an Administrator? That obviously makes a difference too.

Rgds John

Comment

• Adam
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • May 2000

One way to get around this is to split up the install into smaller segments. For one of our larger installs we split it up into 10 or so 50MB segments. This reduces the time that Vista takes to scan the files.

Adam Kapilik

Comment

• JonK
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Jul 2007

Adam,

Thanks for the suggestion. Having smaller segments massively reduces the time Vista does whatever it does. It's a bit of a messy solution, but hey, it works.

Incidentally, do you know what Vista is scanning the files for? Could I just give it what it is looking for and cut out the scan completely?

Thanks again,

Jon

Comment

• Tuberculosis
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by JonK View Post
                  Adam,

Thanks for the suggestion. Having smaller segments massively reduces the time Vista does whatever it does. It's a bit of a messy solution, but hey, it works.

Incidentally, do you know what Vista is scanning the files for? Could I just give it what it is looking for and cut out the scan completely?

Thanks again,

Jon
                  We are looking at one setup the same as yours... we should have it together by the end of this month... PLEASE let us know if you find a fix for this issue...

Looking at the response from Adam, I'm sure IR knows about this issue... but I did not read where he said they were working on it.... hmmm....

Comment

• tridentnav
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Jan 2009

Uac

Hi we have the same problem as well. We have found out thet if you turn of the UAC in vista the Installation will start normaly (XP Style). If anyone have found a better solution for this please post as we are desperate to find a solution to this problem.

Kind regards

Comment

Working...
                    X