• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ineb
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Nov 2005

set creation date of a file

hi folks,

I've a problem with the creation date of a file after a patch. The date is set to the point where a user performs the patch. But i need the original date and time. I only can reach this if i set the flag "force install" to this file with the drawback of increasing file size.

Is there a possibility to set the creation date manually?
  • AdrianS
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2005

I brought this up a while back. If VP patches a file, Windows sets the file's time stamp to the current time/date, since the file has been modified.

On the other hand, if VP simply replaces a file (either because it was forced or because there was too many difs) the file's original date is used.

We find this a bit irritating because customers sometimes think that files were not updated. It also makes it difficult to tell which version of file a user has.

The problem isn't so much that you can't set the date, but rather that there's no way of knowing what the file's original date was.

Comment

• Lorne
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Feb 2001

Thanks, I've logged this for consideration. REF: 15846

In the mean time you could include a command line tool (e.g. FileTouch) as a primer file and use it to set the creation date in an On Post Patch action.
      --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• ineb
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Nov 2005

thanks

Then i will use a command line tool to set the date of a file. Better than increasing the patch size about 6MB.

Comment

Working...
        X