• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hofiiik
    Forum Member
    • May 2007

Could you help me?

I've got 2 versions of my software. I know how to create an update program, but I want to create another one, which won't check files in an old version (in old version there's one Keyfile and my patcher always checks, if that file is really there - and I want that the patcher doesn't check any file in old version). Thanks for help
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

You can uncheck versions in the list that is shown when you build the patch if you don't want to include them.

Why don't you want the patcher to check the files in the old version? Do you mean that you don't want it to be able to update that old version at all?

Can you elaborate on what you're trying to accomplish?
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Hofiiik
      Forum Member
      • May 2007

I want to use this patch on more versions & I don't want to do extra patch for each version & I want to create the smallest patch is possible

Comment

• Hofiiik
        Forum Member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
        You can uncheck versions in the list that is shown when you build the patch if you don't want to include them.
        I tried it, but it requests at least two versions (I want only one version...)

Comment

• Lorne
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • Feb 2001

You need at least two versions to create a patch. Patches update files from one version to another. In order for Visual Patch to determine which files have changed in the new version, you need to give it at least one older version to compare it to.

In general the smallest patches possible will be when you choose the last 2 versions, so for example if you had these versions:

...the smallest patch will be if you check 1.2 and 1.3, and leave the other versions out of the patch.

It all depends how you want your patches to work. If you don't mind having a separate patch for each new version, this will create the smallest individual patches, but the users will need to download the appropriate patch for the version they have installed. Which isn't too difficult, but it depends on your users.

BTW, there's more information about this and other patching strategies you can use in the user's guide and help file.
          --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
          X