• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r0b0c0p
    Forum Member
    • May 2007

Like operator

i have to ask a feature: Like operator doesn't work, in fact if I do a search like this
    SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Field Like 'AAA*'

no results are returned

Like operator seems act as = operator (exact match)

and I report a bug I found: UPDATE statements fail if executed on password protected dbs
    Last edited by r0b0c0p; 06-07-2007, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Worm
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jul 2002

Try
      SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Field Like 'AAA%'

Comment

• r0b0c0p
        Forum Member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Worm View Post
        Try
        SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Field Like 'AAA%'
        Yeah! It Works!
        Thank you very much!

Comment

• Dermot
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Apr 2004

and I report a bug I found: UPDATE statements fail if executed on password protected dbs
          The latest version allows you to use a password when calling the dll.
          Dermot

I am so out of here :yes

Comment

• r0b0c0p
            Forum Member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Dermot View Post
            The latest version allows you to use a password when calling the dll.
            I already know it, but in practice I have experienced this bug (UPDATE statement on protected db fails, same statement on non-protected db works)

Comment

• Dermot
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by r0b0c0p View Post
              I already know it, but in practice I have experienced this bug (UPDATE statement on protected db fails, same statement on non-protected db works)
              It works fine for me with a password protected db.
              Dermot

Comment

• gnetcanada
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • May 2003

how to run a query to match a db field that is blank?

Im trying this query

Query="SELECT * FROM POI Where LAT='"..rounded_lat.."' AND LON='"..rounded_lon.."' AND (GPSDIR='"..gpsdir.."' OR GPSDIR='')"

What im trying to do is return the record if it the GPSDIR field matches the gpsdir variable i have ORRRR if the field is blank. It works when the GPSDIR field in the DB has something in it, and gpsdir variable matches it, BUT it doesnt work if GPSDIR field in the DB is blank/null.

Anyone know what this database DLL considers null, or how i can do this comparrison?

Shawn

Comment

• Dermot
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Apr 2004

Try this.

Query="SELECT * FROM POI Where LAT='"..rounded_lat.."' AND LON='"..rounded_lon.."' AND (GPSDIR='"..gpsdir.."' OR GPSDIR IS NULL)"
                  Some good info here on Access SQL. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...x#acintsql_exp
                  Last edited by Dermot; 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM.
                  Dermot

Comment

• gnetcanada
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • May 2003

worked like a charm thanks dermot

Comment

• Mina
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2005

sweet.
                      thanks

Comment

• DTX
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Oct 2003

Retrieve Password from Access table

Hello Dermot, Firstly thank you for sharing this dll I have just found this, and hopefully it will solve a long standing problem I have.

I need to make an EXE that downloads a zip file via FTP and unzip it to a specified directory, this I have managed using your example download and install template (altered mine to use ftp rather than http) so thanks for that too.

However there is a security risk (albeit slight) in that anyone getting hold of the exe can just run it and download the data.

So what I would really like to do, and hopefully this is where the .dll comes in. Is to when the EXE downloader runs, it looks to a password in an access database table and uses that to continue the download. If no access database or no password found then no password, so therefore download not permitted.

For your information the Downloader is a simple means to redistribute updated Access mdb files, to the user. End Users should not know the pasword for download permission, oly admins, hence the reason to include it in admin only area of the Access mdb.

Ideally in laymans speak (Ie ME!) the Exe should locate the mdb through specified path, look to a designated table and find the password. On succesful discovery the EXE should then continue to the download procedure.

Therefore anyone coming accross the exe alone, are not able to run it to automatically download the data. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help given
                        Cheers
                        Drew
                        Last edited by DTX; 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Dermot
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Apr 2004

I'm not quite sure I follow. Where will the Access db with the password be located? Will you know the exact path to it? If so then you would just use a File.DoesExist() to see if it exists and then use the dll to query the specific table and retrieve the password. The demo app should show you how to run a query against the db.

It might be much simpler to just add a password to the exe. If someone tries running and don't have the password, then it will not download the information. Just a thought.
                          Dermot

Comment

• DTX
                            Indigo Rose Customer
                            • Oct 2003

Hi Dermot, thanks for the reply.

I'll try and be a little clear with the explanation. The Access database will always be in a fixed location, it's a split front end back end and multi-user enviroment. Admins have rights to know passwords but general users do not.

Our Access application already automatically alerts all users that an update is available for their front end. The user then chooses OK to update the updater (the AM6 exe) that downloads and unzips the new front end mde.

Therefore as admins control the Server that contains the data.mdb (backend) the client PC's using front ends would not be able to download either front end or back end updates (containing the Amended Data) without connection to the data.mdb. (for example someone took home the updating EXE) Hope that makes more sense.

I guess the one question I am asking is it possible, I then know to dedicate some time to it.

Thanks
                            Drew

Comment

• Dermot
                              Indigo Rose Customer
                              • Apr 2004

OK so as long as they run the exe while having access to the server, it will be able to read the password from the backend mdb and download the new mde? But if the run the exe from home it will not be able to read the backend mdb so it will not download anything?

Basically you are trying to make a system that keeps everyones frontend mde uptodate?

I think the dll should do the trick then.
                              Dermot

Comment

• DTX
                                Indigo Rose Customer
                                • Oct 2003

Hi Dermot,

Once again thank you. Excellent news I'll get my head stuck into it.

Cheers
                                Drew

Comment

Working...
                                X