• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zebra
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2007

delete legacy files

Hi,

I don't know since when, my visual patch exe file deletes all the files in the destination folder after patching it up. I just found it a couple days ago. I noticed the last step was to delete legacy files, so I went into project settings advanced, checked Delete Legacy Files off. It seems ok now. But I looked the old project files I have saved, they all had Delete Legacy Files checked on. Why it worked for me before but not any more? Could that be something else other than Delete Legacy Files that caused the problem?

Thanks a lot,
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Hmmm...do you have a log from when that happened? Or if you can reproduce it with logging enabled, could you send us the resulting log file?

The "Remove legacy files" option removes any files that were in a previous version but are no longer in the current version.

If all of your files are being deleted, then that part of the patch has determined that none of the files in your application folder are in your current version. Hmmm.

I'd almost suggest checking that you don't have an empty version in your project, but you shouldn't be able to build without at least a key file in each version.

Are all of the files being deleted?

Have you made any modifications to the scripts?
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• zebra
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2007

I have four folders in each build that I need to patch up. The files in the first three folders are fine, only the last folder that all the files in all the sub folders are deleted after patch. I compared two builds, they have the same folder structure with the same file names except the new build has more files in it. The good thing is I found an old project file that works fine with Delete Legacy Files checked on. I will do some kind of comparison between these two project files see why the new one deletes all the files. Is there an effective way to compare the two project files?

Thanks,

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by zebra View Post
        I have four folders in each build that I need to patch up. The files in the first three folders are fine, only the last folder that all the files in all the sub folders are deleted after patch. I compared two builds, they have the same folder structure with the same file names except the new build has more files in it.
        I would make triple sure that the folder is named the same in all versions, inside Visual Patch.

My next step would be to enable the patch log (at its most verbose setting) and see exactly what is happening behind the scenes.

Keep in mind what the delete legacy files option does, too: it removes any files that it finds in the application folder that, according to your project file, are not in the version you're patching the target to.
        The good thing is I found an old project file that works fine with Delete Legacy Files checked on. I will do some kind of comparison between these two project files see why the new one deletes all the files. Is there an effective way to compare the two project files?
        The project files are plain text XML, so you could use any XML or text compare tool to compare them.
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
        X