• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pedro arzac
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2006

great discover about all my problems

Check this out

I try from zero to do everything like Lorne said and I discover that both of my exes have the same size even thought they have a diferent version or area diferent version so for taht reason vpatch thought that they were the same file.

So I have to ask this what should I do?

1) Option put extra unusefull things to make vp to find my old version
    2) ask you for another option
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Size doesn't matter......it's the actual bytes inside the file that matters. Visual Patch uses the MD5 signature to identify the file. The size is irrelevant.

Are you sure the version of your .exe in the destination folder is the same as the one in your archive? Compare their MD5 signatures. If they don't match EXACTLY, then Visual Patch won't be able to identify the version you have installed.

Compare the MD5 values of the key files in your Visual Patch project with the MD5 value of the corresponding key file inside C:\Program Files.

If it matches the MD5 of your old version, Visual Patch should be able to patch it.

If it matches the MD5 of your new version, Visual Patch doesn't need to patch it.

If it doesn't match either of them, then you're missing something...for example you may have added the wrong files to your Visual Patch project, or you might have the wrong version installed.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• pedro arzac
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2006

Hi Lorne

I have checked what you told me

For some reason the MD5 of my package & source folder are the same but the one of the installed version isn`t.

I`m new using MD5 could you help me with some explanation of this event.

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by pedro arzac View Post
        I have checked what you told me

For some reason the MD5 of my package & source folder are the same but the one of the installed version isn`t.

I`m new using MD5 could you help me with some explanation of this event.
        It means the bytes inside the files are different. Why they're different is up to you to figure out. Maybe the file was modified (hopefully not infected?) or damaged or it's not the version you think it is or...?
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• pedro arzac
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2006

thanks for everything Lorne

Really you are a great person and you help me a lot thanks a lot

Comment

• Lorne
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Feb 2001

Did you get it working?