• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pedro arzac
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2006

Monitoring problems during silent instalation

Hello I have developed a patch using the manager in silent mode, but some times it works and other It simply don`t responde how can I monitor or have an idea of what is causing this, because it will be installed in my clients pc I need to guaranted that I can solve or prevent all the possible problems.

I have tried changing the versions in the patch instead v1-v2 I create a patch with v2-v3 but the same result I don`t know whats happening please help
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Have the patch output a log file and then examine the log file. The log settings can be found by choosing Project > Settings, and clicking on the Advanced tab. Make sure the "Create Log File" option is turned on. Set "Include action details" to "Extended errors" if you want more details in the log.

Without more information it's hard to offer any other advice. Are you sure the correct version of the software is installed when you apply the patch? Do you have copies of the files you're patching in other locations? Are you sure the patch is locating the correct "copy" that you want it to patch? Did you include the right files in your patch? Have you chosen appropriate key files? etc.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• pedro arzac
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2006

Checking the previous possible solutions

First I have an idea of why is taking so much time how can I establish to only to check for example this location C:/program files/my program/sol.exe.

about the versions the installed version is the 2.0.0.0 in my patch i have the 2.0 that is the 2.0.0.0 and the 3.0 that is the newest 3.0.0.0, and both of my key files have the same name I don`t know if this is a problem.

About the log.txt I have that option selected but It didn`t create the file

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by pedro arzac View Post
        First I have an idea of why is taking so much time how can I establish to only to check for example this location C:/program files/my program/sol.exe.
        There are a few ways. If your installer is storing that information in the Registry, you can make your patch get that information from the Registry and try looking there first.

You can also just run the patch file from inside that folder, and it will look there first.

You also have full control over which folders the patch will search when it's searching through folders -- or you can disable the file search completely.

This behaviour is all implemented in the On Startup script, so you can change it to work any way that you want. (Choose Project > Actions then click on the On Startup tab.)

If at first you're not sure how to edit that script to do what you want, I recommend using the Project Wizard to create a new project (choose File > New Project). Just answer the questions at each step of the project wizard (read the help file if you need more information) and it will create the On Startup script automatically for you.
        about the versions the installed version is the 2.0.0.0 in my patch i have the 2.0 that is the 2.0.0.0 and the 3.0 that is the newest 3.0.0.0, and both of my key files have the same name I don`t know if this is a problem.
        Both key files can have the same name, that's fine. They need to be different on the inside, though -- Visual Patch will compare those files to the ones it finds on the system in order to determine what version it has found. So the key files need to be different between your versions or your patch might think it found version 2 when it actually found version 3.
        About the log.txt I have that option selected but It didn`t create the file
        What is the path in your log filename setting? By default it should be this:

%WindowsFolder%\%ProductName% Patch Log.txt

...which is going to create the log file in your Windows folder. Note also that the filename starts with the name you've assigned for the product, so that's what you need to look for.

Comment

• pedro arzac
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2006

Hi Know I have discover my real problem

The main problem is that my patch is not finding the rute or path of my program to update but I have tried the wizard and everyting even the same folder but he still didn`t find it , any ideas

Comment

• Lorne
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Feb 2001

Check your key files. See the user's guide and help file for advice on choosing good ones. (Or search this forum, I've posted on that topic a few times now.)

Comment

• pedro arzac
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2006

last question

The language of my clients is spanish I don`t know if for that reason the system couldn`t find it, I will che the users guide thanks Lorne

Comment

• Lorne
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Feb 2001

AFAIK the language shouldn't matter for the version detection at all (at least not with any of the built-in scripts).

Comment

• pedro arzac
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2006

thanks lorn If I use the same code of true update

The same code of tru update can work in vpatch to get my intalled version?????

Comment

Working...
                  X