• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICS
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2006

Patching non key files

If the key files of two versions match but some files in the newer version have been modified does visual patch consider both versions to be the same just because the key files match?

If yes, how do i make changes to other files without making changes to key files? and release a patch for that.
  • Brett
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jan 2000

Although I am not crystal clear about your question, I will try to answer. If two versions have the exact same key files and the key files themselves are binarily identical then it will not be able to desitingush between the two when patching. One of the rules of key files is that at least one of them in each version must be completely unique to that version.

Comment

• Lorne
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Feb 2001

Originally posted by ICS View Post
      If the key files of two versions match but some files in the newer version have been modified does visual patch consider both versions to be the same just because the key files match?
      Visual Patch uses the key files to identify a version. If two versions have the same key files and they are exactly the same, then Visual Patch won't be able to tell the two versions apart.

If yes, how do i make changes to other files without making changes to key files? and release a patch for that.
      Just select another file as a key file -- one that contains different data from other versions. Or add one. (Even a text file containing the version number will do.)
      --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• ICS
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2006

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X