• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Staggan
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2006

Failed To Extract File From Archive

Hi..

I am getting an error when running a patch that I have created...

The error is "Failed To Extract File From Archive dff_000024.dif"

I removed ALL the versions in the patch and re-added the files. Remade the patch and thats the error I still get...

Any ideas ?

Thanks
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

That's an unusual error. Few things I can think of that might cause it:
    • the hard drive partition is full (easy to check?)
    • you don't have write permissions in the target folder
    • you're getting file data corruption, which could be because the hard drive is failing, or your drivers aren't installed properly, or you placed a big magnet on top of your hard drive, etc.
    • the patch executable is getting corrupted before you run it (are you copying it across a network?) although that one is less likely; IIRC the archive integrity is tested before the extraction begins
    • that file isn't being included in the archive for some reason...perhaps your diff cache folder is corrupt? Maybe try turning off the cache diff files option in the build settings, or change the location of the cache folder.

Not sure what else it could be. Does this error happen all the time? Is it always the same file, or does it change? Does the error change after you rebuild the patch?
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Staggan
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2006

I just tried the attributes for the install folder, and it was set to read only... changing this made the patch work...

I made the install with setup factory, how do I change those attributes ?

Comment

• Staggan
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2006

To clarify....

I need to force the patch to overwrite existing files... even if the attributes are set to read only...

How can I do this ?

Thanks

Comment

• Lorne
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • Feb 2001

Was it a file that was read only, or was it the destination folder the files are located in?

Comment

• Staggan
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2006

I have just tried a combination of version installs and patches...

The last installer seems to be having problems, even though I have rebuilt that installer...

I even tried removing the versions and remaking the patch, to no avail.

I tried changing the folder properties again, but this did not work...

I am getting the same message each time.. and If I remove versions from the build... the file it fails on changes... how can I check which file it is ?

Thanks

Comment

• Staggan
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2006

Sorry, the last patch that should be...

I am patching between versions 6 to 18....

If that helps.. but also tried 10 - 18, 14 - 18, and some odd ones inbetween.. same issue

Comment

• Staggan
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2006

OK.... nowwww I get to it..

I added the files to the version in visual patch as normal... but for some reason visual patch was adding a file.. thumbs.db to the file list... but this file was NOT in the files that I added...

I deleted this file from the files list and all worked fine...

Why would visual patch add a file into the list that does not exist ?

Comment

• Lorne
                  Indigo Rose Staff Member
                  • Feb 2001

thumbs.db is created by Windows in any folder where you have images when the Windows feature to display thumbnails as images is turned on.

It's a hidden file, so if you don't have "Show hidden files" enabled in your Windows settings, you won't see it.

Visual Patch is able to patch hidden files, so if you add all of the files in a folder to your project, naturally it will grab the hidden files too.

(When doing this kind of thing it's generally a good idea to have "Show hidden files" enabled in Windows, so you know exactly what files are in your folders.)

Comment

• Lorne
                    Indigo Rose Staff Member
                    • Feb 2001

To answer your earlier question, yes Visual Patch can change the ReadOnly attribute of a folder, using the File.SetAttributes() action.

For example, you could use File.SetAttributes() in your project's "On Startup" action script to turn off the ReadOnly attribute for that folder.

Code:
                    File.SetAttributes(_ProgramFilesFolder.."\\MyFolderName", {ReadOnly=false});
                    Generally, though, program folders aren't made ReadOnly when programs are installed.

Comment

• Staggan
                      Forum Member
                      • Apr 2006

OK, I understand about the hidden file... but why would this problem be resolved merely by removing the thumbs.db file from the file list in visual patch ?

And, for that folder, I have "Show hidden files and folders" selected in the file options. So the thumbs.db file is not actually present in that folder...

Comment

• Lorne
                        Indigo Rose Staff Member
                        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Staggan
                        OK, I understand about the hidden file... but why would this problem be resolved merely by removing the thumbs.db file from the file list in visual patch ?
                        I'm not sure what the problem is that you're having, to be honest ...what you're describing is very odd and it's not anything I've heard of before. I know Visual Patch has no problems patching read-only files, so it's not that. Besides, from the error you described it sounds like it's occurring when Visual Patch extracts the individual patch files from the patch.exe archive (which is essentially like a Zip file) onto the local hard drive, prior to patching the related file.

Having the program folder be read-only is unusual, but you can change the attributes with the File.SetAttributes action if you need to, although I'm not sure that's the problem either.

Do you have logging enabled for the patch? Maybe try setting the "Include action details" setting to "Extended Errors" (under Project Settings, on the Advanced tab) and then see if there are any clues in the log.

And, for that folder, I have "Show hidden files and folders" selected in the file options. So the thumbs.db file is not actually present in that folder...
                        Hmmm...you're sure it's not there? Are you bringing it in from somewhere else, perhaps? (Maybe it's in a subfolder?) What's the source path in the file list? How are you adding the files to Visual Patch?

What OS are you using? Is your system's temp folder stuffed full of files? You could try deleting all the files out of your temp folder.

Did you check all your versions to make sure you didn't include the thumbs.db file in their lists, too?

Another thing you could try is clearing the diff file cache, if you have the cache enabled in the build settings on the Optimizations tab. Although that's a long shot, it's one more thing to rule out.

Definitely generate an extended error log, though.

Comment

• Staggan
                          Forum Member
                          • Apr 2006

OK.. ignore the folder attributes, that was a red herring....

The reporting tells me that thumbs.db is a missing file... and I am guessing this is why when it attempts to extract it, it goes into meltdown.

I do not have the caching enabled and that file does NOT exist in the folder where it is being shown...

The file IS present in some of the other versions.. but did not seem to cause any problems..

It is solved by removing this file from the file list.. but if I remove ALL files from that version, and then add them again, using the add files, and then clicking the "all files in this folder and subfolders" checkbox.. it still finds that file.. even though it does not exist...

I can fix for now... but it seems strange that previous patches have all been fine...

Comment

• Lorne
                            Indigo Rose Staff Member
                            • Feb 2001

Hmmm, interesting. Is the thumbs.db file located in any of the subfolders?

If you double-click on the entry for the thumbs.db file in Visual Patch, what is the source path? That will tell you where Visual Patch found the file...

Comment

• Staggan
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2006

To add... I can see thumbs.db files listed in other versions, in the file list, but when I search those folders, with folder options set to show hidden files, there are NO instances of thumbs.db in ANY of those version folders...

Comment

Working...
                              X