• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tstjean
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2006

Database patch ?

As I understand it, Visual Patch can be used for making database changes?
    If so, does someone have an example of how to add a column to a table in SQL Server.
    I assume this would be done as an Action but I can't find any information to show me where to start.

Terry
  • Jason Pate
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2002

Terry,

Only way I know how to do this is with a third party tool I wish VP could do it I use http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Packager/index.htm with my VP, expect it to work fine, but I would love a way to have VP2.0 do it, but I truly dont there there is a way.

Comment

• tstjean
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2006

The reason I was inquiring about database changes was because in the "Why you should use Visual Patch", it mentions patches to databases.

Regardless of the type of data being distributed - executables, documents, databases, media files, etc. - Visual Patch can figure out what files have changed, the exact changes within each file and how to update any previous version to the current version.

Terry

Comment

• Brett
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jan 2000

It can binarily patch database files. So for instance a static mdb file, etc. It does not do database updates through SQL though.

Comment

• Jason Pate
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2002

Its doing a binarily file compaire, that will no help in the case of a database file that a users is making update's to. If it was a config file maybe, but not SQL.

Comment

Working...
          X