• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roboblue
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2003

More Menu Bar Examples

After struggling for many hours with creating the Menu Bar at runtime, Thanks to Desmond and rhosk, I think I finally have a handle on it.

The examples below show three ways to create and change the Menu Bar at runtime.
    Note that in all three examples, the Menu Bar is Not Shown (disabled) in the AMS design view. you will have to preview to see the results.

In all of the examples, there are four desired actions.
    1. To toggle the on-top function on/off.
    2. To toggle the background music function play/pause.
    3. To enable/disable the sub menus for the above functions.
    4. To pass what state the above functions from page to page.

All of the examples accomplish the desired actions, with different methods.
    In all the examples, the necessary code is in the Project Global-On Start, The Page Preload, On Show, On Menu, and the Buttons' On click events.
    The Lua script resides in Scripts folder.

The first example uses Lua script to create and control the actions of the Menu Bar and is called by a run.script action in the Page Preload. The layout of the Menu Bar and the menu selected actions all reside in the script. The script residesThere are functions built in the Global section to control the selected actions, and to change the Menu Bar as needed.

The second example uses the Lua script to create the basic menu, but puts the menu changes and actions on the Page On Menu event. This streamlines the Lua script, but loads up the On Menu event.

The third example removes the Lua script altogether. The Menu Bar is created on the Page Preload event, and the menu actions are on the Page On Menu event.

In these examples, only one Lua script is needed for the whole project as the Basic Menu Bar will stay the same. This is good if all your pages will have the same basic Menu Bar features.
    However, if you have a lot of different actions for each page, you may be served well by using Lua script for the Menu Bar.
    An example of this would be if you put out a demo version of your application, then you just send a "key" to unlock the application after the trial. Then you would want use two different scipts for each page. A demo script and a regged script. Just use a trap technique to determine if it has been regged, then an "if" statement to run.script the alternate reg script.
    It would be up to the developer which method would be easier to maintain, or change project to project.
    The non lua script method will not have an external script debugging process. But, if it works in the script, it'll work in the Page Preload, too.
    Lots of pros and cons, so it's up to you to decide waht's best for a given situation.
    This post will self destruct in 10..9..8..7.
    Attached Files
  • bobbie
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2005

I tried all three of them and they are really cool ,, but the off does not work? the Pause does but not the off .
    And if I leave one and say start the number three it will be playing the music from when I had number one on.

Comment

• Roboblue
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2003

bobbie
      the on/off is to set the application for always on top. click the on and open another app/window.
      "And if I leave one and say start the number three it will be playing the music from when I had number one on."
      that's odd. I relly can't say what is causing that as the 3 examples don't interact at all.
      I certainly can't replicate that.

Comment

• Roboblue
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2003

whoosh, I just reread my first post and see a lot of typing errors. I just switched from a full size multimedia keyboard to a small Zippy backlit one and I'm having a hard time with it. Being partly dyslexic doesn't help, either.

Comment

• bobbie
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2005

Thats ok . I have a short term memory loss .
          I'm not sure why it does it?, I just would close one down and start the one of the other Examples and the music would be playing.

Comment

• Roboblue
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by bobbie
            Thats ok . I have a short term memory loss .
            I'm not sure why it does it?, I just would close one down and start the one of the other Examples and the music would be playing.
            The music plays on startup. it is on the background channel.

Comment

Working...
            X