Clear All
  • Adam
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • May 2000

Dependency Module: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

Dependency Module: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
    Last Revision: February 8, 2005 (001)

Overview
    Use the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 dependency module with Setup Factory 7.0 to detect and install Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0.

Background Information
    Applications and controls written for the .NET Framework version 2.0 require the .NET Framework Redistributable Package version 2.0 to be installed on the computer where the application or control runs. The .NET Framework redistributable package is available as a stand-alone executable file, Dotnetfx.exe. When this dependency module is included in your setup, it installs the .NET Framework redistributable if needed.

Note: Please note that if your application requires database support then MDAC 2.6 or greater is also required. If you require this you can download our dependency module from the Setup Factory 7.0 Addons, Modules & More forum.

Installation Instructions
    To make the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 dependency module available in your Setup Factory 7.0 projects, follow the steps below:
    1. Close Setup Factory 7.0, if it is running.
    2. Browse to the folder where Setup Factory 7.0 is installed on your system. By default it is C:\Program Files\Setup Factory 7.0.
    3. Open the folder called Dependencies.
    4. Unzip the contents of dotnet2_0.zip (see bottom of article) into the dependencies folder.
    5. Create a subfolder of Dependencies and name it dotnet2_0.
    6. Download the Microsoft .NET Framework redistributable file (dotnetfx.exe) into the dotnet2_0 subfolder.
    7. Restart Setup Factory 7.0.

To use your new dependency module, select Resources > Dependencies from the main menu and click the Add button. Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 should now be visible in the list of available modules.

Information Links
    SDK

Module Name: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
    Type: Setup Factory 7.0 Dependency Module
    Created By: Indigo Rose Software (2/8/2006)
    Last Revision: February 8, 2006 (001)
    Attached Files
  • Eagle
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Mar 2005

Nice One Adam :yes

Comment

• Adam
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • May 2000

Thanks. It was a pretty strait foreword port from the 1.1 module. One thing to keep in mind is that the dotnetfx.exe requires version 3.0 of the Windows installers for NT based systems and 2.1 for 9x based machines. It looks like Microsoft does not encourage distributing MSI 3.0 so I've left the dotnet 2.0 installer handle this.

Adam.

Comment

• Eagle
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Mar 2005

Yes , spot on there, I was thinking 'bout posting something to that effect,
        but you got it covered... V3.1 v2 is what would be downloaded, I believe.

Pretty sure that is the v3.x on MS servers these days... :yes
        (less overhead for a module, not to distribute Winstaller 3.x)

The 3.1v2 redist is readliy downloadable though...don't know what MS's beef would be..
        Last edited by Eagle; 02-08-2006, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• mrbaby
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2006

nResult Dialog

Which portion of the code do I change or remove to disable the nResult dialog?

Comment

• ipodsync
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2006

Download Framework Installer

Is there a way to have Setup Factory download and install dotnetfx.exe only if the framework is not detected on the machine, rather than having to bundle it in the installer?

Comment

• DanCooperstock
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Mar 2003

I would also like a variant of this that does the download, rather than having to bundle it in the installer.
              Dan Cooperstock [email protected]
              416-423-7722

Comment

• PropellerHeads
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Feb 2006

Doesn't work on Vista?

Has anybody tested this dependency on Vista? We're using 'ultimate' and followed the steps but it doesn't show up in the list of "available modules" when we try to add the dependency to the project.

I did notice when starting up SUF that a small dialogue box appears very quickly. I'm assuming it's an error but it flashes up so quickly (and dissappears) that we can't read or screen capture it. We looked in the event log for entries and there are none. Is there a log or somewhere we can look to see what's happening. I'm sure this is related to the Dependency module (which is why I didn't start a different thread).

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Comment

• PropellerHeads
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Feb 2006

Clarification

Sorry, let me clarify my last post...

We're running SUF on a Vista Machine...
                  Also, we finally caught the dialogue in a screen capture (the second part of the email) and it's "refreshing archive" - so NOT an error!

The initial question still remains... has anybody used this successfully when running SUF (to build an installer) on a Vista machine?

Thanks
                  Joe

Comment

• Eagle
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Mar 2005

just a heads up...I have nearly finished a mod to this Module that:

1) Detects for and if required downloads and installs Windows installer 2
                    for 98\Me or Windows installer 3.1v2 for required Os type conditions.
                    (if detection fails- defaults to the .Net2.0 runtime handling of this pre-req)

2) Downloads and installs the appropriate .Net2.0 runtime if all pre-reqs OK.

functionality is included to detect if Os is 64 bit and if so, if x64 or IA64
                    and based on a configurable boolean downloads and installs the correct
                    64bit redist IF you want true 64bit Dotnet2.0 runtime files.

otherwise defaults to the dload-install of the standard 32 bit (x86) redist.

that should get you out of jam or based on my code get you into one

just give me another 24 hrs ...as a trade I want some folks to fully test
                    the module when posted on all Os types and enter into a collaboration :yes

btw: DotNet v 3.0 redist. has gone final and is backward compatible with V2.0
                    (ships with Vista 32 and 64bit OS(s)

fwiw
                    Last edited by Eagle; 03-12-2007, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Eagle
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Mar 2005

DotNet FrameWork 2.0 Download-Install Module

If you wish to use this Modification to the Original Created by IR
                      as outlined in the previous post, then please test thoroughly and
                      report any bugs or changes needed here. :yes

download and extract the DnLoad_Mod_dotnet2_0.xml from the zip file
                      into the Root of the Dependancies folder of your SUF70 installation.

You may need to restart SUF70 to make the module available for selection.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• augustwind
                        Forum Member
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eagle View Post
                        download and extract the DnLoad_Mod_dotnet2_0.xml from the zip file
                        One thing I'd recommend, especially if you have the original file in your dependencies folder, is to rename the file (inside the XML file - first section), to something different - like adding " - Separate Downloads" or something like that.

Otherwise, both files look exactly the same, when you click the 'Add' button, and you can't tell exactly which one is which.

Comment

• Eagle
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Mar 2005

Yes, good catch augustwind, :yes

I slipped up there, I did not change the 'name' field while in
                          'edit mode' before the save and export, I picked this up in
                          the DirectX module update(s) before I posted.

They have a 'unique' but related 'name' , so should be ok.

Comment

• DanCooperstock
                            Indigo Rose Customer
                            • Mar 2003

I have found twice now, when my installer using this dependency module was run on Windows XP systems, that it did not pick up the fact that the .NET Framework 2.0 was not installed, and just went ahead fine with my normal installation. But then when I run the application, I get a message about needing the proper .NET framework.

Any ideas what this might be? I've been staring at the detection script, but it's rather complex, and at the moment I don't have access to the systems that it failed on.

Thank you.
                            Dan Cooperstock [email protected]
                            416-423-7722

Comment

• Eagle
                              Indigo Rose Customer
                              • Mar 2005

I have modified the 'detection' portion of the Download and Install Mod:

1. Now first detects for 'Windows Vista and beyond' OS(s)
                              -if detected is treated as .Net2.0 is already installed on the system
                              (be warned: this Vista detection supports RTM or later releases only)

2. now only detects for V2.0 and the 'common id files' have been changed

the Module's 'internal name' is now:

'Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Download and Install'

download and extract the DnLoad_Mod_dotnet2_0_v1.1.xml file itself
                              into the Root of the SUF70 installation\Dependancies folder:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X