• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJ_Tigger
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Sep 2002

file.open or file.execute

for software installs, which is better to use when you want to launch the setup.exe file?
    TJ-Tigger
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
    Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Re: file.open or file.execute

Depends.

If you need to pass command line arguments to it, then you need to use Execute.

If you want the AutoPlay applicaction to wait while the setup runs, and then do something once it's done, you need to use Execute.

Otherwise, they're pretty much the same.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Sep 2002

Thankyou,

So let's say for instance I am checking to see if they have Acroread installed. If they don't, I want to install the latest version included on the CD for them. After the installation is completed, I would like for the action to continue and open the file they originally selected that started the installation.

This question goes hand in hand with my other post on detecting and then installing acroread.

Thanks
      TJ-Tigger
      "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
      Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• AndrewClark
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Apr 2002

Presumably there will be a dialog box which will invite the user to install Reader, rather than do it automatically if AMS detects they don't have it?

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Sep 2002

Correct, That is what I want to do.
          TJ-Tigger

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Sep 2002

Let's say you want to execute a file that is not an .exe but maybe a .mov or .txt file as in the example in the Users Guide. Do you need to specify in the arguments or working directory the application to use in opening the file?

Thanks
            TJ-Tigger

Comment

Working...
            X