• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Action Examples

Has anyone checked out the action examples in the Command Reference of version 4.0.0.1?

If so, how do you like 'em?

We've already added a bunch more (including a couple real doozies), but it would help to know what kind of examples you want for the rest of them. Do you want a few more big, complicated examples? Or a dozen single-action examples?

Do you find the explanations helpful? Or are those just a waste of time? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We're going to be wrapping up work on the help file very soon (to move on to more task oriented docs in the form of knowledge base articles) so let loose with any feedback you might have.

If there are any actions you really want to see examples for, get your requests in now.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]
  • HenryAdams
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2002

Re: Action Examples

For myself, I would like to see more examples with three or four actions in them. I would say for the intermediate level user. In particular, I would like to see more examples using the command structure actions.

By the way, if one clicks on Command Reference in the help file, nothing happens. It was only by clicking on action examples and examples that I was able to access the various examples included in the update.

Beyond actions per se, I would really like to see some advanced creative design template examples using AMS 4 with Flash.

Comment

• Corey
      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
      • Aug 2002

Henry! Finally someone who knows how to spell "per se", my hat's off...

As to the templates I wanted to do exactly that but it didn't fit into our big plan just yet...

BUT if you request video tutorials on a specific aspect of that, I'd be happy to create them for you in my spare time...

Corey Milner
      Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Michael
        Forum Member
        • Feb 2000

I like the examples. I'm stuck on some of the basics, however. For example, for File - Execute.
        What is needed on the command line argument and the working directory? I've read the help file which says "the command line arguments that will be passed to the executable", etc.

Still not sure.

Comment

• Bruce
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jun 2001

Corey, I would be happy to do the on-screen examples if only you could give me the basic step by steps... If that helps at all, after all that's what we do [with a sheepish voice... With Director] But hey! That’s why I'm learning AMS4!!! To poop-can those guys!!! ;-)

Comment

• Lorne
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Feb 2001

Ah, Michael, sounds like what you need to learn isn't specific to AutoPlay itself, but rather just general computer-knowledge stuff. It's kind of like an issue our technical support team faces every day...we can teach you how to use the tools themselves, but teaching you what to do with the tools isn't always feasible or possible.

That said, I'll do my best to get another "File - Execute" example in there, with a few more explanations. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

(I have a huge list of examples I'd like to add, and both Adam and Darryl have contributed...but a deadline has been set, and I doubt I'll be able to get it all in there, so I'll have to pick and choose. IndigoRose is a lean mean software machine, which often means we have to move on to other things in order to get all the jobs done.)

In any case, keep the comments coming, folks! Your feedback is truly important to us.
            --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• John-oh
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jun 2000

I like the examples, its always worth putting the explanations in, you can always ignore bits, it's difficult to read bits that are not in !!
              It would seem better to keep the examples simple - i.e a specific task within each, to enable finding the exact point you're stuck on.
              I get the feeling this beast has now got so big, you'll never cover it all. - Someone out there is going to write a book ....

Comment

• Brett
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Jan 2000

Michael,

In answer to your question:

What is needed on the command line argument and the working directory? I've read the help file which says "the command line arguments that will be passed to the executable", etc.

a command line argument is parameters (numbers, text, or whatever) that are passed to an executable program when it is run. The executable program has access to these parameters when it runs and can make decisions about them. Every executable accepts different arguments and interprets them in different ways.

For example, to run notpad on my system, I can go to Start > Run and type in "C:\WINNT\Notepad.exe". This will start notepad with a blank document. In this case, there were no command line arguments passed to the program (notepad). But, now I go to Start > Run and type in:

"C:\WINNT\Notepad.exe C:\Docs\Info.txt"

and notepad opens up but this time it opens up with the C:\Docs\info.txt document loaded into it. You see, in this case "C:\Docs\info.txt" was a command line argument passed to notepad. Notepad detected that I had passed this as an argument, saw that it was a text file and decided to load it automatically (which is what notepad does).

As far as working directories go, that is a bit different. You see, when a program is started in windows, it always has a working directory (a folder on your computer). Usually, the working directory of a program is the folder it is started from, and this happens automatically. For example, when you run C:\winnt\notepad.exe, the working directory is "C:\WinNT". What does this mean? Well, when the program runs, it can easily find files in its working directory.

What does all of this mean to you? Not much, probably. In general, when you run a program from AMS40, you will not need to specify command line arguments or a working directory. They are sort of advanced options that are there for those who occasionally need them. Like many things in the computer world, if you have to ask, you probably don't need it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Brett

Comment

• Corey
                  Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                  • Aug 2002

I like the downloadable .pg4 files in the help files BTW, nice touch. In general I find the quality of the help file pretty good overall.

Corey Milner

Comment

• Derek
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • May 2001

Finally someone who knows how to spell "per se"
                    Curious ... how else were people spelling it?
                    -
                    = Derek
                    ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• Corey
                      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                      • Aug 2002

Per say seems to be the norm nowadays. Latin is not exactly the wave of the future though...

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
                      X