• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Video Tutorial - Integrating AMS & Flash Buttons

This is an experiment so we need you guys to post some feedback. Do you like this tutorial, would you like more, what sorts of tutes are you looking for, etc...

You must have current version 5+ of quicktime installed to view this movie, if you don't have it get it here for free:

Click for Quicktime Player

Then you can get the video tutorial movie here.

Click here for movie

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software
  • Derek
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • May 2001

Re: Video Tutorial - Integrating AMS & Flash Buttons

Good job there Mr. Milner! Very well done. I think it would be extremely valuable to some people and should definately be on the list for more. Like you said, it's really down to what they want.
    My only comment regarding the video itself ... would be nice to have seen more of the screen/application window. Not sure is file size was the cause of that?
    -
    = Derek
    ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• AXXESS
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2001

VERY cool! This type of tute will not only help those that are newer at Flash MX, but also to incorporate its features with AMS4, which I would guess that most of us are not up to speed yet... Looking forward to more along these lines...

Once again, IR is surpassing all known support and quality records... keep up the great work!

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Well 640 X 480 is pretty much as high as I can go and still keep file sizes reasonable. If I squeeze the app down into that window it'll be way too small unless you reset your screen resolution.

Now, it's very simple for me to create a small .exe that resets screen resolution but:

a) That crashes some peoples systems.
        b) It usually prompts them for confirmation so some novices get alarmed.
        c) It's arbitrary and I hate arbitrary things.

So this is the best compromise I can find. I'll look into it more but you might just have to get used to it. I think once you've watched a few Derek you would get used to it anyhow. I'll see what I can do...

Corey Milner

Comment

• Derek
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • May 2001

I think once you've watched a few Derek you would get used to it anyhow.
          I'd actually got used to it by the end of that one [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .. i was thinking more about the people that are not so familiar with the applications.
          -
          = Derek
          ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• Eric
            Forum Member
            • Aug 2002

Corey:

This kind of thing is great. Personally, I go brain-dead reading text. VIDEO TUTORIALS are so much better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, for those of us on slow connections, it will be very helpful to also stick a .zipped file for download so we can view it and re-view it offline whenever desired.

BTW, what program are you using to produce the .mov file? Screen capture one or are you actually using a camera?

Tnx.

Eric

Comment

• Eric
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2002

Just a thought here. If you plan to use Flash buttons and save them as Flash 6, keep in mind MANY people on the planet haven't even upgraded from Flash 4 and this may force them to have to do a download/install of the F6 player IN-THE-MIDDLE-OF-YOUR-AMPS-PROJECT. ????????

I guess with some stuff it could be saved out at F4 if desired.

Eric

Comment

• Eric
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2002

Corey:

You wanted feedback on Tutorials, and forgot to mention this.

About a year or two ago I bought a software program which contained Video Tutorials on the CD, and I seem to recall these were accessible from the program Help file or a related Index. Very cool.

Yes, I could see APMS 5.0 including a complete Video Tutorial library :-)

Eric

P.S. Or, better yet, APSM 4.xx ???

Comment

• Corey
                  Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                  • Aug 2002

Lorne's in charge of all that. I will gladly create all the video for him if he asks but then I think it becomes too bulky for the CD, not sure. We'll see what he says, feel free to suggest this in the new features forum.

Maybe if we kept it to a couple or few it would be OK. I'm getting better at keeping them small, about .5 MB per minute at 640 X 480 so maybe we'll be able to squeak a few minutes in there.

Corey Milner

Comment

• Lorne
                    Indigo Rose Staff Member
                    • Feb 2001

That would definitely be cool. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We could even put together a front end for the videos in a help file (with a brief synopsis and a thumbnail for each one).

Size would definitely be an issue, though, at least for the electronic download version. It might have to be a CD-only extra. (Or something we distribute on separate CDs.)
                    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Eric
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2002

Shucks...why 640 x 480??? You could probably do a default .mpg size at 352 x 240. Maybe try it?

What are you using to do these things in?

Yup...the "front-end" thing I think is what the program I saw was using. A simple link from from regular Help file would do it.

Eric

Comment

• Lorne
                        Indigo Rose Staff Member
                        • Feb 2001

The quicktime player requirement might be an issue...I don't know if I'd feel comfortable requiring people to install that. All merits of the format aside, the player is known for being a buggy piece of... [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Corey
                          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                          • Aug 2002

Used to be, I have no problem with the quicktime of today, notice that our resident video expert Eric Darling deploys his demo reel via quicktime at this site, since he seems to know a lot more than you or I about video I'm trusting he has a reason for that.

the Sorenson pro 3 codec with 2 pass VBR is the king of the playground right now...

As to the 640 X 480 thing I have a few reasons.

1. Small movies suck. Period.

2. I want people to be able to watch them maximized or full screen and enjoy them, same reason I made sure the audio isn't completely Albanian.

3. I have to watch these things too and I like 640 X 480.

4. [Frank Zappa Central Scrutinizer Voice] The FUTURE!!! (Pronounced "Few-chah!") [/Frank Zappa Central Scrutinizer Voice]

In the words of Maurice Chevallier "Ze times, she are a shawnging.".

At 640 X 480 our video clips will be relevant for some time to come as screen resolutions skyrocket and visitors from other planets poluute our malls and walkways.

5. And last but not least, the best very reason of all... Drum roll..... So we can be better than the competition! Let them bedraggle their resources with their pedantic purulence and petty price-taggery whilst we wander off into the sunset with their clients in tow. You got to go big or stay home my friend and Indigo Rose is the only kid on the playground right now putting their money where their mouth is. So in the spirit of that I go big. Bigger is better when it comes to video.

Anyhoo Lorne I have the files down to about .3 MB per minute at same size and quality. According to Eric Darling if we can cajole the big chief into buying the Sorenson Pro 3 codec we can shave that down a bit more.

At that size I think we can splurge on a few vid files, no? Maybe in the case of help files we could go down as far as 480 X 360 and still get good re-sizable quality. Anyhoo you tell me what you need when you need it and then ye shall receive.

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
                          X