• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • venky
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2008

Dependency Module: Visual Basic 6 SP6

Overview
    Use the Visual Basic 6 SP6 dependency module with MSI Factory 2.0 to detect and install Visual Basic 6 SP6.

Background Information
    Installs Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0 provides the latest updates to Visual Basic 6.0. It is recommended for all users of Visual Basic 6.0. Applications and controls written in Visual Basic 6 require the VB6 SP6 Redistributable Package to be installed on the computer where the application or control runs. The Visual Basic 6 SP6 installation package is available as a stand-alone executable file, VB6.0-KB290887-X86.exe. When this dependency module is included in your setup, it installs Visual Basic 6 SP6 if needed.

Installation Instructions
    To make Visual Basic 6 SP6 dependency module available in your MSI Factory 2.0 projects, follow the steps below:
    1. Close MSI Factory 2.0, if it is running.
    2. Browse to the folder where MSI Factory 2.0 is installed on your system. By default it is C:\Program Files\MSI Factory (on Windows Vista (64-bit) it is C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Factory).
    3. Open the folder called Dependencies.
    4. Unzip the contents of VB6SP6.zip (see bottom of article) into the dependencies folder.
    5. Download the Visual Basic 6 SP6 setup file (VB6.0-KB290887-X86.exe) into the vb6sp6_Include subfolder.
    6. Restart MSI Factory 2.0.
    To use your new dependency module, select Build > Settings from the main menu. Select standard bootstrapper option and click the Edit button. Click dependencies tab and click Add button. Select Visual Basic 6 SP6 dependency module from the list of available dependency modules. Visual Basic 6 SP6 should now be visible in the dependency modules section. You can edit or customize the configuration of the dependency module in the configuration section.

Information Links
    More Information

Module Name: Visual Basic 6 SP6
    Type: MSI Factory 2.0 Dependency Module
    Created By: kumar (7/15/2008)
    Last Revision: July 15, 2008 (001)
    Disclaimer: This dependency module is not officially supported by Indigo Rose. If you have any issues or feedback please contact me or post in the forum.
    Attached Files
  • TSC
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2006

Hi,

I may be completely wrong, in which case just delete my post..

Question: is this module expected to pack the Visual Basic 6 SP6 run-time files ? If so, then note that you're pointing to the Visual Basic Service Pack#6 here, which is OK to update an existing Visual Basic 6 to service Pack 6. But it has nothing to do with run-time files, which are a different thing.

The file you need to include is vbrun60sp6.exe not the one your link refers to.

Am I wrong ??

TSC

Comment

• venky
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2008

This dependency is for VB6 SP6 runtime. But the link is pointing to VB6 SP6. Thanks for pointing it out. I cannot update my original post so I am posting the correct link here:

The file you need to download is: VB6.0-KB290887-X86.exe. This self extracting file contains vbrun60sp6.exe.

If someone downloaded the file using the original incorrect link the dependency would not have worked anyway because the dependency is looking for VB6.0-KB290887-X86.exe and the person would have downloaded Vs6sp6B.exe.

venky.

Comment

Working...
      X