• Show
Clear All
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Minecraft Backup Tool

Download

What is it?

Minecraft Backup Tool is a simple backup utility for Minecraft that makes it easy to backup and restore the world files that get generated as you play the game.

It is an open source project made with AutoPlay Media Studio Personal Edition by me (Lorne Laliberte).

Where do I get it?

You can download the Minecraft Backup Tool and its source files here.

What is Minecraft?

Minecraft is a very cool game in development by Markus Persson (a.k.a. “Notch”). It is a sandbox game where the world is made up of simple textured cubes or “blocks.” The player has the ability to manipulate this world by mining, crafting, and placing blocks. This very simple metaphor and the associated gameplay encourage the player to manipulate the world in increasingly creative ways.

It’s a wonderful experiment in emergent gameplay: as I play Minecraft, I find myself continually inventing new things to try, in a sense creating different sub-games for myself around the simple crafting and exploration mechanics of the core game.

Minecraft is still in alpha, but it is already very fun. It’s kind of a combination of playing with Lego blocks and hiking. You get to build stuff, largely for the sake of building it…and you get to explore a procedurally generated world made up of little blocks that is often surprisingly beautiful.

Why another backup tool?

I’ve been enjoying Minecraft and I went looking for a tool to backup and restore the world files. I found some tools that handled backups well enough, but I didn’t find a tool that made restoring as straightforward as it could be.

My goals for this project were to:
    • provide an easy way to make and restore world backups
    • take advantage of the cool cartography tools that exist, such as AlphaVespucci and c10t
    • make an open project that anyone in the Minecraft community could modify and extend

Instructions
    1. Simply download the zip file and extract the executable to the location of your choice.
    2. The first time you run the tool, click the Settings button to configure your Minecraft.exe location, etc.
    3. You can click on the map thumbnail to view it in your default PNG viewing program.

The rest should be pretty self-explanatory.
    Last edited by Lorne; 10-21-2010, 12:53 AM. Reason: procedurely :)
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]
  • sim
    No longer a forum member
    • Nov 2009

The basic look really works for your tool and its very clean, I don't have to game to test it fully but it does look nice

Comment

No longer a forum member
      • May 2009

Sweet. I play sometimes Minecraft so I'll need this.

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

Thanks guys!

A few more screenshots:

--[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Imagine Programming
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Apr 2007

Very nice Lorne, and I'm loving the GUI, simple and professional.
          Bas Groothedde
          Imagine Programming :: Blog

AMS8 Plugins
          IMXLH Compiler

Comment

• nitro
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2009

Oh man, you beat me to it! I was going to make a MC backup utility myself!

Its still very nice though, I saw this on the MC forum as well, good job!

Comment

yeah this is awesome i play minecraft two realy cool

Comment

• kingzooly
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Sep 2013

This is now old and a bump I know, sorry about the bump but I would like to know since you know MC more if there is means to be able to use AMS with MC, I want to create a tool for vanila so when a user connects I am able to return with the users name for the welcome message so I would need AMS to be the console for it to be able to read its returns any tips on how? once again nice tool
                Plugins or Sources MokoX
                BunnyHop Here

Comment

Working...
                X