• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elleah
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2005

Problem with "Automatically Detect Settings"

Hi,

I know that TU2 will automatically detect the setting of user's Internet connection.

Having a proxy server, it puzzles me why, if I set my LAN settings to "automatically detect settings" with my "Use Proxy Server for LAN" also ticked, TU2 doesn't work. But if I untick "automatically detect settings", leaving the proxy server tick it works. But this options work on my internet access. I can access any site having either of the to set-up.

Any idea? One user triggers me this problem and I am also wondering why, since I can replicate the same .

Thanks for your help in advance. Looking forward for your reply.

Regards,
    Leah
  • Mark
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jun 2000

Hi Elleah,

Unfortunately we will need more information in order to diagnose your problem.

Having a proxy server, it puzzles me why, if I set my LAN settings to "automatically detect settings" with my "Use Proxy Server for LAN" also ticked, TU2 doesn't work. But if I untick "automatically detect settings", leaving the proxy server tick it works. But this options work on my internet access. I can access any site having either of the to set-up.
    • Where are you setting these options?
    • Are these options that you are enabling and disabling in Internet Explorer?
    • What version of Internet Explorer are you running?
    • What version of Windows are you running?
    • What version of TrueUpdate 2.0 are you running?

You mention that when you have this option enabled your update does not work but you failed to mention what happens or the error that is occurring. Perhaps you could post a logfile where "automatically detect settings" is checked, and another where "automatically detect settings" is checked so that we can compare what is happening in both situations.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• Elleah
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2005

Hi Mark,

Sorry for my late reply.

Here are my answers to your questions:
      -I am setting this options on my Internet Explorer.
      -Internet version 6
      -Windows XP
      -TU2 2.0.4.1 (but I already update to version 2.0.6.0)

Updating to latest version now works if I'll both ticked the "Automatically Detect Settings" and "Use Proxy Server" options on my IE, but if I only tick the "Automatically Detect Settings" and untick the "Use Proxy Server", I failed to perform an update. But some of my user able to perform an update on this setup. We have previously configured our network to auto detect proxy server. Can you give me some clue on this?

Here's the log.

[05/29/2007 09:47:36] Success Update started: C:\Program Files\MyFile\Update.exe
      [05/29/2007 09:47:36] Notice Update engine version: 2.0.4.1
      [05/29/2007 09:47:36] Notice Product: MyFile, version %ProductVer%
      [05/29/2007 09:47:36] Success Language set: Primary = 33, Secondary = 1
      [05/29/2007 09:47:36] Success Load plugin: C:\DOCUME~1\DiezE\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_tu2_temp_0\IRZ ip.lmd
      [05/29/2007 09:47:36] Success Load plugin: C:\DOCUME~1\DiezE\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ir_tu2_temp_0\IRZ ip.lmd
      [05/29/2007 09:47:37] Success Include script: _TU20_Global_Functions.lua
      [05/29/2007 09:47:37] Success Display screen: Welcome
      [05/29/2007 09:47:38] Success Display screen: Check for Update
      [05/29/2007 09:47:38] Error An error occurred when trying to download the server file. Server ID: HTTP : An error occurred while trying to create the internet connection. (3610)
      [05/29/2007 09:47:38] Error The parameter is incorrect.
      (3610)
      [05/29/2007 09:47:38] Error Script: Check for Update > On Start, Line 141 (3610)
      [05/29/2007 09:47:59] Error An error occurred when trying to download the server file. Server ID: FTP : An error occurred while trying to create the internet connection. (3610)
      [05/29/2007 09:47:59] Error The connection with the server was reset
      (3610)
      [05/29/2007 09:47:59] Error Script: Check for Update > On Start, Line 114 (3610)
      [05/29/2007 09:47:59] Success Display screen: Update Failed
      [05/29/2007 09:48:07] Success Run client data event: Client Script
      [05/29/2007 09:48:07] Notice Exit update process (Return code: 5)
      One more thing to confirm, since I have updated my TU2 and able to build the new ts* files as well as the client files. I am in the process of updating my ts* files on the server. Do I still need to deploy the new copy of the executable and dat files? I believe running the old executable file will update itself once it detects that an update is needed. Am I right with this? Please confirm.

Thanks,
      Leah

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Elleah View Post
        One more thing to confirm, since I have updated my TU2 and able to build the new ts* files as well as the client files. I am in the process of updating my ts* files on the server. Do I still need to deploy the new copy of the executable and dat files? I believe running the old executable file will update itself once it detects that an update is needed. Am I right with this? Please confirm.
        Yes, if you upload all the files that TU2 generates to your server, the clients will automatically update themselves to the newer version.
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Elleah
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2005

Thanks for that Lorne, yes it works as I already tested it.

How about my query on "Automatically Detect Settings", do you have any thoughts? I can still encounter the problem even I have the new server files.
          I encounter the problem when ever I try with setup "Automatically Detect Settings" ticked and "Use Proxy Server" untick. But I can browse the internet properly with this setup.

Please advise.

Thanks,
          Leah

Comment

• Elleah
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2005

Hi,

Just a followup on my email.

After series of test, I've tried to update my IE to version 7.0 and with this version the setup I have seems to work. I also confirmed with my user where this setup works, and he confirmed that he's using IE 7.0 too.

IE Setup:
            "Automatically Detect Settings" - ticked
            "Use Proxy Server" - unticked
            Can you advise how I can make this setup works for the older version of IE? Please confirm if this is a bug on TU2 and how should I deal with it?

Thanks,
            Leah

Comment

• Lorne
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Feb 2001

Sorry but I don't really understand the situation you're describing.

As far as I'm aware there are currently no proxy issues in the latest version of TrueUpdate.

Proxies can vary quite a bit from system to system and they are not always configured properly. Some Internet Explorer settings are also not always configured so that they can be used by the entire system.

I haven't had much personal experience with proxies, so I'm not sure I can help you with those issues, however Mark should be back from vacation in another week or so and he might have other suggestions.
              --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• rayng
                Forum Member
                • May 2007

Clarification

Hi,

I work with Leah and to clarify, we recently implemented automatic proxy detection on our network and found that:
                • Update.exe version 2.0.4.1 did not work
                • Update.exe version 2.0.6.0 worked, but only after upgrading IE6 to IE7

In all tests we verified that we are able to access the web with IE6/7.

I'm not sure why 2.0.6.0 fails to detect the proxy with IE6 installed. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
                Ray
                Last edited by rayng; 05-31-2007, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• Mark
                  Indigo Rose Staff Member
                  • Jun 2000

Hi Elleah and Ray,

There were some changes and fixed made to TrueUpdate between version 2.0.4.1 and 2.0.6.0 that dealt with the auto-proxy settings so this may account for some of the issues that you were having.

One question about your setup, you say that you have:

Now are you using a proxy server? i.e. should Use Proxy Server be checked?

Are you using an auto-configure proxy file to determine whether or not to use a proxy? (i.e. a *.PAC file?) If so what are the values that you are returning?

I'm not sure why TrueUpdate would fail to work with Internet Explorer 6.0 and then work with version 7.0, unless something was fixed in one of the DLLs that TrueUpdate uses in the auto-detection process. Do you know the exact version number of Internet Explorer 6.0 that you were using?

Comment

• marcel808
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2007

hi
                    I think I'm having the same problem.
                    My IE is 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp2_gdr.050301-1519.
                    I'm using TrueUpdate 2.0.6.0.
                    When I check for updates, it says an update is available, which is correct. But when it comes to download the patch it says
                    Failed to create the Internet connection

I have Automatically detect setting unchecked and Use a proxy server checked.

I've put debug in so I know the ftp URL to the files are corrct. Why would TrueUpdate be able to get to the tu files but not the patch files when they are all on the same server??!

thanks
                    cel

Comment

• Mark
                      Indigo Rose Staff Member
                      • Jun 2000

Hi marcel808,

I don't think that you are experiencing the same problem that Elleah or rayng are experiencing since you are able to connect to the Internet in order to determine that there is an update available.

My suggestion would be to take a look at the log file and see if you can spot any problems in it. If after looking at it you are still having problems post your logfile to the forums so that we can look at it and hopefully spot a problem. You may want to start a separate thread since your problem appears to be different.

Are your update files (ts*) and your patch files located on the same FTP server?

Comment

• Elleah
                        Forum Member
                        • Apr 2005

Hi Mark,

Sorry for my late reply. Here's my answer to your queries.

Now are you using a proxy server? i.e. should Use Proxy Server be checked?

Are you using an auto-configure proxy file to determine whether or not to use a proxy? (i.e. a *.PAC file?) If so what are the values that you are returning?

I'm not sure why TrueUpdate would fail to work with Internet Explorer 6.0 and then work with version 7.0, unless something was fixed in one of the DLLs that TrueUpdate uses in the auto-detection process. Do you know the exact version number of Internet Explorer 6.0 that you were using?
                        Yes, we are using proxy server and as what Ray and I told earlier, we recently implemented automatic proxy detection on our network. So having Use Proxy Server uncheck, Internet and TU2 should still work.

I believe the return will be the proxy address and port.

My exact IE version is 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254.

Your prompt help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                        Leah
                        Last edited by Elleah; 06-13-2007, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• Mark
                          Indigo Rose Staff Member
                          • Jun 2000

Hi Elleah,

Since you are using a PAC file, the best way to proceed now would be for you to email me ([email protected]) then I will send you a debug version of the TrueUpdate 2.0 runtime.

The runtime will log out extra details as it runs. Then we will get you to run the update in a variety of situations (i.e. with different settings checked in Internet Explorer) and then provide us with those log files.

One more question about the problem that is occurring. When using Internet Explorer 6.0 the following setups fail:

"Use Proxy Server" - ticked
                          and the following setups succeed:

"Automatically Detect Settings" - unticked
                          "Use Proxy Server" - ticked

"Automatically Detect Settings" - unticked
                          Is this correct? Or have a misunderstood part of your problem?

Comment

Working...
                          X