• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sside
    • Dec 2003

Just a note

Hello everybody

This one goes to the ir folks (webmaster/administrator)

From time to time it happens that when i come here in ir forum there are threads that i have not seen (new threads) and yet they do appear like i have seen them. Does this happens very often???

sside
  • longedge
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Aug 2003

Yes I get that as well, new posts that you have not viewed but which are not marked as unread. It's just one of several unexpected behaviours I get in the forum some of which I've remarked on before.

Comment

• sside
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by longedge
      ...It's just one of several unexpected behaviours I get in the forum...
      I wonder what these might be...but i can imagine...

It is a strange behaviour. It is funny the fact that these strange behaviours are geting very specific these days, for the fact that only 2 forum members (of total 7293) to be troubled by :yes

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Hi. I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like you have a firewall or anti-virus which sometimes prevents the cookie from being written. The reason I say that is because it only happens sometimes and only to a few members. If it were the server or script one would assume it would be 100% of the time for "all" users. That's about all I can think of, the cookie system is VBulletin so I can't really tweak the code on my end... Hope that at helps somewhat.

Comment

• longedge
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Aug 2003

Don't follow the logic there Corey - I thought cookies track which posts you have read not the ones you haven't. Posts which have not been read are not showing as 'new'.

Personally I can live with it and it won't keep me away

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

Hi. Well I wouldn't use the word "track". They are just text files, or "logs". The forum has to know when you were last here in order to deduce which posts are "new" to you specifically. In order to do that it needs to "anchor" to something so it uses cookie with a timestamp, plus I believe it also makes a "last visited" database entry. It uses that to figure it all out. Anyhow I may be wrong, might not be a cookie issue. It just seems likely that it would be something local given the narrow prevalence of the problem and the reported intermittency, and the only thing I can think of which may cause local problems would be a cookie. Just a theory.

Comment

• longedge
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Aug 2003

Yes I follow your thinking. As far as the prevalence is concerned, it might be that it happens to lot's of users who simply either don't notice or if so live with it just like when the email notifications stopped when you swapped servers.

Comment

Working...
              X