• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack sparrow
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2004

Interactive flash cube

Hi,

I want to make my own 3D interactive cube like the flash sample "indigo_cube" that is included in AMS. I'm afraid my flash skills are rather limited and I have searched the web looking for tutorials but haven't found a thing (only a $59 utility dedicated to making 3D cubes).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? It would be great to be able to download a project like this and study it. I think it would make a very interesting menu/selection screen.

Thanks for your help!
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

I can't remember which tool I used to do that. Magamartha or some such brand. There's a variety of free cubes movies around the net you can download and check out I believe, although I don't have a link offhand. Flashkit.com I believe had one. Once you download that it's just a simple matter of importing your own bitmaps and applying them as bitmap fills to the side panels. Sorry, I know it's not a lot of help but that's all I can recall offhand...

Comment

• jack sparrow
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2004

Thanks!

Hey muchos thank-Q for the lightning fast reply. If it's that easy, it'll be great! I'm going to start looking now...

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Cool! Keep us posted...

Comment

• jack sparrow
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2004

Well...

I went through the Flashkit archives and found some likely candidates, but it is proving harder than I expected. I was hoping I could just DL a ready made cube and paste my bitmaps on it, like you mentioned. I don't have time to learn Flash for this project. I could easily create such an object in After Effects, but of course it wouldn't have the interactivity when rendered as an AVI and I really need that mouse-controlled object style for this project.

I'm going to press on with this. You don't happen to have that old cube file lying around on your hard drive do you? http://www.indigorose.com/forums/ima...ons/icon12.gif
          Wink

Thanks again!

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

No I'm sorry I dont, I never did have an .fla for that. I built it as a .swf... Here for $24 you can get 6 months of full access to all the Mandomartis applets including the cube gallery:

Effect Maker - Create JavaScript Effects with the click of a button

Hope that helps...

Comment

• rhosk
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Aug 2003

You mean something like this?
              Attached Files
              Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Corey
                Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                • Aug 2002

Great post Ron, that's perfect!

Comment

• jack sparrow
                  Forum Member
                  • Dec 2004

Thanks guys

Corey, I'll check out that site and see if it'll help out with this. Rhosk that's a nice cube but in the AMS one you could actually control its rotation movement with the mouse and select the faces, which is what I really need for this project.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

• rhosk
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Aug 2003

No prob, I don't claim that code, it is open source though. I'm sure you can modify it to have control, but you're on your own there. I'm only taking the horse to the water
                    Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• AGRO
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2000

I have not used this but here is a Flash component that sounds like what you are looking for. You can modify it to your liking.

Comment

• jack sparrow
                        Forum Member
                        • Dec 2004

3D box

You're right, that does look really neat. I was just hoping I could find something free first because I'm not sure if I'll be using the effect that much after this project. Although, it may be worth the $29, as it also looks good for creating packaging mock ups and such.

The movement of the blue box at the top of the page is superbly smooth, but it doesn't indicate if you can actually select and create links to the separate faces of the cube, for a menu-type application. If I could only find the one they used for the AMS sample! It's my fault for learning AE and not Flash!!! Hehe.

Thanks for taking the time to help me search, guys. Really appreciate it.

Comment

• rhosk
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Aug 2003

Cool find :yes
                          Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Corey
                            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                            • Aug 2002

if I could only find the one they used for the AMS sample!
                            Hi. Just to be clear, I'm the one who made the cube in AMS, I did so using the Mandomartis applet I linked to above.

Comment

• jack sparrow
                              Forum Member
                              • Dec 2004

cube adventure

Okay, thanks. That slipped my mind somewhere in the mad scramble to find it. I'm going to buy that applet too and use it for this project and hopefully some others. Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X