Installing Acrobat reader locks up Autoplay runtime.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidangell
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2002

Installing Acrobat reader locks up Autoplay runtime.

I have already confirmed that the individual does not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on their system. I want the object to install the reader and then open the .PDF file. The problem is that if I set Autoplay to "Wait for Return" on the installation, Autoplay locks up and the Adobe install doesn't finish.

The actions for the object are:
    Play WAV file - click1.wav
    Execute program - rp505enu.exe
    Open Document - manual.pdf
    Execute program is checked for "Wait for Return".

Adobe's install routine unpacks the files, then nothing happens. If I exit the menu routine created by autoplay (X in top right, then end task on message about not responding), the acrobat setup then continues. This was tested on Windows 98, 2000, and XP pro.

If I uncheck "Wait for Return", this lockup does not occur. But then the system tries to open the .PDF file before setup completes, and displays a message that no program is associated with this file type.
  • tbybee
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jul 2000

Re: Installing Acrobat reader locks up Autoplay runtime.

Are you sure it's actually locking up? I have installed Acrobat from the CD using the exact same install app as you indicated. You then try to view the pdf file. The very first time you view a pdf file after the installation, it requires you to accept the End User License Agreement (EULA) before you can proceed. On some machines this appears to be a lockup when in fact it really isn't. The EULA window is open but sometimes doesn't come to the forefront. I'm not sure if this is what's happening to yours or not.

After running the install program from your menu, can you then just start acrobat manually? It doesn't look like it based on your post.

Why don't you try this....if Acrobat is not installed when they click the pdf file, then use a yes/no dialog box that says, "Acrobat Reader is not installed on your system. Would you like to install it now? If yes, then run the install program. This will require the user to actually click the pdf file again after the install has been completed. This is the way I typically use the acrobat install feature and I have no problems with it. If you need some additional information on how I do this, I'll be happy to be more specific. Or, I can email you a sample project with the functionality.

Tony

Comment

• davidangell
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2002

I don't know if it is locking up or just waiting for the install to finish, but the install stops after it unpacks, before the actual setup runs, and doesn't do anything else until I exit the AMS program.

Comment

• tbybee
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Jul 2000

Hmmm...can you run the install directly from the app, not using the AutoMenu? Try that first to eliminate it being the app itself.

You know another way to do it would be to run the reader from the cd. I am forced to do this from time to time because some of my projects require the use of Reader+Search. When I check to see if the user has Reader on their system, I can't determine if it's the plain reader or the reader+search. So, I end up running the reader directly from the cd.

Any other thoughts on this?

Tony

Comment

• davidangell
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2002

If I uncheck "Wait for Return", the app installs with no trouble. It is only with this paramater checked that I have trouble.

I found the Files Acrobat unpacks and tried running the setup from there, the acrobat setup still locks up before fully starting.

How do you setup Adobe to run directly from the CD? If I can do this, I wouldn't have to worry about the installer running. Like you, I am giving the option of the search.

Comment

• tbybee
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jul 2000

The way I run the reader from the cd is simple. I install the reader+search into a specific directory on my hard drive. I then copy the complete contents of that directory to an Acrobat directory in my virtual CD-Rom directory that I setup in AMS. My action when the user clicks to view my pdf file is Execute program AcroRd32.exe (of course use the proper directory etc.). I also place my specific pdf filename in the arguments. This works just fine for me. I would highly suggest you use the reader from the cd since you require index searching.

Be sure you copy all files and directories from the virtual CD-Rom to the CD when you burn it. AMS will not copy your acrobat directory for you.

Let me know if you need more info. I'll be glad to help!

Tony

[This message has been edited by tbybee (edited 02-14-2002).]

Comment

Working...
            X