• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mehowey
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jan 2002

Adobe Acrobat Reader

I'm totally lost. I want to be able to install/update Acrobat Reader on a client's computer from a CD I create, so they can access a pdf file. I've gone through the complete set of Click-N-Learn Auto Play tutorials, and read dallasfreak's instructions, and still come away confused. Is there some way to copy and paste the commands to a page, or another way to do this so non-computer geeks can understand it? Any help will sure be appreciated!
  • Mark
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jun 2000

Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader

Hi,

Could you please outline exactly what you want to do?

Do you simply want to launch the Acrobat installation from your CD-ROM? If this is what you want to do, what will the path to the executable be on your CD-ROM?

mark.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• mehowey
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jan 2002

Thanks for the response. I want to send a CD to my clients with articles saved in pdf. I want them to be able to open the articles on their computers with Acrobat Reader. If they don't have Reader, of course, they won't be able to read the files on the CD. So, I want them to be able to install Reader on their system without directing them to Adobe's website. (Some of my clients don't have access to the Internet.) And, if they do happen to have Reader on their system, but it's an older version, they could have the option to upgrade to a newer version.

As I mentioned, I've gone through the entire training CD's, the online tutorials, and the instruction manual. The online tutorials and printed instruction manual make no mention of how to do this, and the training CD left me completely in the dark.

Is there any way to copy a pre-done page and insert it in my folder, or perhaps include a link on the main page that installs Reader?

I'm good at some things on the computer, but this task completely escapes me.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Comment

• Jito463
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2001

This is a simple one. Simply use the Execute Program function on a link to run the Acrobat Reader install program that you can download from Adobe's website. The link can be an image or a simple Text Object.

Comment

• Mark
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • Jun 2000

Hi mehowey,

Jito463 is correct, the best thing to do in this situation is to provide the user a link to the Acrobat installation. Use an EXECUTE RPGORAM action to launch the installation.

There are also four lessons dedicated to this specific task in the AutoPlay Insight training CDs. If you look at the Advanced lessons, lessons 4,5,6, and 7 deal with detecting and installing Acrobat reader.

I'm sure if you go through these lessons again you will be able to accomplish what you want. In fact "Search 4 Acrobat P1" (lesson 4) outlines the necessary actions to search the user's hard drive, and then install Acrobat reader if no version, or an earlier version is found.

mark.
          MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• davidangell
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2002

The actions for this object are:
            Play WAV file - click1.wav
            Execute program - rp505enu.exe
            Open Document - manual.pdf
            Execute program is checked for "Wait for Return".

Adobe's install routine unpacks the files, then nothing happens. If I exit the menu routine created by autoplay (X in top right, then end task on message about not responding), the acrobat setup then continues. This was tested on Windows 98, 2000, and XP pro.

If I uncheck "Wait for Return", this lockup does not occur. But then the system tries to open the .PDF file before setup completes, and displays a message that no program is associated with this file type.

Comment

• Bruce
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jun 2001

How about those of us that don't have the CDs! I just need to make sure the end user has ver. 4.0 or higher if not, the CD loads 5.0 if they want it.

How is that done?

Comment

• Jito463
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2001

Ok, first thing you need to do is go to the Adobe Acrobat Reader Download page and download the most current Acrobat Reader (5.05 currently). Save that into the directory where you're currently building your Autoplay Menu. In your menu, add a link to install Acrobat (it can be text or an image, but I think Adobe might object to you using an image if you're mass distributing it). In this link, add an execute program action and point it to the recently downloaded Acrobat install. Then, the customer can simply click the link to install Acrobat Reader. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Jito463 (edited 03-08-2002).]

Comment

• Bruce
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Jun 2001

Jito463-
                  Thx for the reply!
                  I work in Director, Director does not do well installing and starting over again. It's very important that the end user not have to decide whether or not they need the program. It must check for it in the background, this is where I’m having the problem. Bye the way...I do not need to start the PDF up immediately, it's later in the Director program.

[This message has been edited by Bruce (edited 03-08-2002).]

Comment

• Jito463
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2001

Isn't Director another program like AMS? If so, and that's what you're using, why are you posting in the AMS forums? If I'm wrong, just ignore me.

Comment

• Bruce
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Jun 2001

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. I use AMS on the front side of Director to
                      install programs like QuickTime and others.

If you would please awnser my question...
                      Thanks very much for your replys!

Bruce

[This message has been edited by Bruce (edited 03-11-2002).]

Comment

• Bruce
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Jun 2001

I got it, thx everyone!

Comment

Working...
                        X