• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sue
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Mar 2004

quiz template - how to randomize questions

I just purchased the Auto Play Studio 5.0 and have another question about the Quiz Template. I am doing a trivia type quiz but would like to have 200 questions where each time the application is launched the user will be presented with 25 random questions from the 200 questions.

I had previously asked how to use images with the questions and received a terrific answer. Can someone help me or tell me where to begin to randomize the questions. What's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks so much for all your help ...... I have to say that the exceptional support offered through these forums helped me make the decision to purchase the product.

Sue
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Hi. I can't say which will be easiest but one way would be to store your values in a table, then select one based upon a random number you generate, storing each selected index in a second table at the same time so you can verify which ones have already been served.

The easiest way to get toward that is to check out tables in the help file. I know that sounds painful but bellieve me it isn't, our docs are sooper, once you read the first few lines you'll see.

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• sue
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Mar 2004

Thanks, Corey!

Would I do that in the global functions area that the current questions and answers are defined?

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

It's good practice to set up your data table in the global function area, then that master table will be available throughout your project, probably best to maintain a second table for "used questions" rather than remove them from the master table but then again simply removing them as they are asked is also an option. Just remember that is you remove them from the table you won't be able to refer back to that data later if need be, if you use a second table you'll always have the original data table to refer back to if need be. Even if you don't need that right now, it's a good idea to build it in for <Darth Vader Voice>****the future****</Darth Vader Voice>.

Corey Milner

Comment

• sue
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Mar 2004

Thanks for the quick response.....I'll review the help file and see what I can do ..... wish me luck ...... but I'll probably be Back! ;D

Sue

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

1. "Luck!".

2. Anytime...

Corey Milner

Comment

• AXXESS
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2001

Another quiz option...

Another option (if you are comfortable with Flash) is the Quiz Template built into Flash MX. The later version may have the template as well.

It allows full randomization, scoring, and more! Just insert your Flash quiz file into AMS and "voila"!

Comment

• Corey
                Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                • Aug 2002

Yes, AXXESS is right, there's several awesome templates in Flash now including Quiz, Photoalbum, and more and you can simply embed the resultant .swf into your AMS file.

Corey Milner

Comment

• sue
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Mar 2004

Thanks, I haven't done much with Flash except a few tutorials. I'll take a look.

sue

Comment

Working...
                  X