• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Protocol
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Oct 2002

All my code was deleted upon build...

Hi there guys,

I spent all day working on code and got it to where I was very pleased. I went to export the project and during the process, checked the clean up "Docs Folder" box hoping to get rid of all unecessary junk.

In the process, AMS5 erased all docs and code from the project. Everything. Toast...

When I go to open up the project, I get a blank page. Pretty **** scary. Although I'm pretty peeved about losing a whole day's dev time, I'm more concerned about this happening the next time I use the export function.

Yes, all of the files I needed were referenced in the code and throughout the project.

I searched the foprums and nobody's had any similar problems. Since this is a generic function, I figure it would have come up before. What I'm mainly concerned about is not only how to fix it (so I can save 24 hours of work), but what happened to make the the software think that I didn't need those files?

Thanks guys!

Protocol
    "White-colla-AMS-gangsta."
  • TJ_Tigger
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Sep 2002

Hey Protocol,

Since you Exported the project, just open the exported .apz file and you will have all your code again. The .apz file is a compressed archive that contains the .am5 and all supporting files from your AMS5 project. Just doubleclick on the exported project and AMS5 will pop up asking you to provide a name for your project. Give it a name and you should have all your work back.

I have not checked into it, but I thought there was an autosave function as well. Does the clean up function clear those files as well?

Tigg
    TJ-Tigger
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
    Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• Lorne
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Feb 2001

Make sure you turn on the "Confirm deletion" option (or something like that) next time you want to clean up the docs folder.

What kinds of files did you lose, Protocol?

I personally never clean the resources without the Confirm Deletion option on. I've never lost any work because of the feature, though.

In fact, clearing the unused resources from the Docs folder shouldn't remove any code (as in AutoPlay scripts) from your project unless you had them saved as external .lua files in your Docs folder for some reason. Normally scripts are stored in the project file, and the project file is stored in your project folder. The project folder is not in the Docs folder...in fact, it's the other way around.

If nothing else, let this serve as a reminder of the first rule of computing: always make a backup.

And let's not forget the second rule of computing: make a backup of the backup.
      --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by TJ_Tigger
        I have not checked into it, but I thought there was an autosave function as well. Does the clean up function clear those files as well?
        Nope. At least, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Those files are just backups of the project file.

The resource cleaner is primarily meant to remove unused media files, like buttons and images and such that you tried once or twice and then ended up not using for whatever reason.

Comment

• Protocol
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Oct 2002

Re:blah...

Thanks guys,

Tigg, it didn't complete the backup process...only the delete process. Doh!

But I wouldn't put it past me to forget such an easy fix...lol. I'm always checking the hardest solutions first. First rule...make sure the computer's plugged in...that rule was made for me.

Lorne, thanks. These were internal files and I was trying to make the backup when the backup process deleted the original. Doh! Doh!

Anyways...I think it was a bug since it didn't make the backup, deleted the original and hasn't happened to anyone else.

It may not necessarily be a bug in AMS and probably isn't. But let it be known that it has happened either from a setting on my computer or the phase of the moon.

That being said, the save rule applies 10x here. Next time (at least on my system), I'm going to manually make a copy of the working folder.

Thanks for your help all (you too Worm...I'll check out the option you sent),

Protocol

Comment

• Intrigued
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Dec 2003

I feel for you on this. I have done (not with this program) this before on other projects (web site content).

Now I backup via secure online backup service, CD-R, a second hardrive. Then to double check myself (late night work you can make big mistakes for sure) I then .rar the files in a different folder AND in the same project directory.

I even thought about putting a CD-R copy of my projects into a anti-static bag (say what's used for a Hardrive) and then put that into my personal bank deposit box.

Me paranoid? Nahhh. (grin)
            Intrigued

Comment

• Bruce
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jun 2001

Welcome to the club! I lost seven years of programing due to a faulty new back-up drive : Live and learn! Everything goes to DVD now. Sorry Protocol.

Comment

• Lorne
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Intrigued
                I even thought about putting a CD-R copy of my projects into a anti-static bag (say what's used for a Hardrive) and then put that into my personal bank deposit box.
                No need to use an anti-static bag...CDs aren't affected by static electricity or magnetism.

For long term storage, you'd be better off putting it in a freezer bag and sucking the air out with a straw, or better yet, one of those freezer bag machine thingies where all the air is evacuated out mechanically (less chance of breath vapor getting into the bag). Be sure to use a quality CD-R as well.

Comment

• Corey
                  Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                  • Aug 2002

you'd be better off putting it in a freezer bag and sucking the air out with a straw
                  Sounds like a good way to pass out and clunk your head against the fridge and get found there on the kitchen floor at 3 AM clutching a half frozen CD by your confused wife, not that I've given it any thought.

Question : Does the quality of the straw matter? Should one seek out an official crazy straw or will a generic lookalike work too? I find that nosy aunts are superb at retaining data, even in case of fire or theft, so that's also an option.

Corey Milner
                  Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Protocol
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Oct 2002

Re: Blah!

LMAO,

If anything was gained, it was certainly entertainment. Bamboo and hay wouldn't be on the top of my list for backup straw material. Could you imagine the Iomega version of that.

As for nosey Aunts the only cure I've heard of is distraction...cousins and younger sisters do well for this. It's amazing how much freedom a simple planted rumor can gain one...especially when the rumor involves both:

:o

"I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors (DM reference), but have you noticed how your little Joey and my little sis have been hanging out together a lot lately...I'm not saying anything here, just let's see what happens at the reunion in 9 months..."

:

Of course, paybacks a pain...

I appreciate the feedback. I sucked it up (not a reference to the backup straw), and rebuilt the project. Bleh...digits...

lol

Protocol

Comment

• Lorne
                      Indigo Rose Staff Member
                      • Feb 2001

Corey: the straw indeed makes a difference, the smaller the better IME as it's easier to form a proper seal around the straw.

* Note: I've never actually tried to store a CD this way, my advice is purely theoretical. I have, unfortunately, had ample experience with freezer bag evacuation. I grew up in the country, and my family kept a large (almost 2 acres) garden. The plus side is that we had bags of home-grown vegetables in our freezer to last us through the whole winter. (And we got to share a lot of produce with local shelters, which felt really good.) The down side is that I have horrible memories of sucking up raw corn juice through a straw trying to get the air out of the freezer bag for my Mom.

Anyone who has had to husk and dekernel a lot of corn will understand what I mean. You know how the raw corn smell starts to overwhelm you after a while? Imagine sucking that in through a straw...

Comment

• Corey
                        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                        • Aug 2002

"I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors (DM reference), but have you noticed how your little Joey and my little sis have been hanging out together a lot lately...I'm not saying anything here, just let's see what happens at the reunion in 9 months..."
                        Har! I'm beside myself with laughter. Classic!

As to the skinny straw theory Lorne, I'm not sure if it's an "urban myth" or not but a friend of mine once had a sister who told a friend that there was this guy who spent 9 years hollowing out a spaghetti noodle to do exactly that but when he went to suck the air out of the bag "BAWHOOM!"...

Corey Milner

Comment

• Intrigued
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Dec 2003

Well to elaborate more... I then have other media I put into such, that is best to keep in such a type of bag. Which usually I then store in a Mobo's 'silver' bag (for size considerations).

Another side note to point out is that the top side (eg. silk screened side) of the CD/DVD is more susceptible than the bottom to mishandling.

Further, one should watch lightening conditions... another little known factoid (for long periods of storage) and then follow that up with temperature considerations.

Or...

Option B:

Mummify the CD/DVD.
                          Intrigued

Comment

• Intrigued
                            Indigo Rose Customer
                            • Dec 2003

[Late Edit]

lightening >> lighting

Though, lightening is something to watch for as well! (grin)
                            Intrigued

Comment

• Corey
                              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                              • Aug 2002

According to my statistics, lightning was the 423,463rd most common cause of early CD demise in North America last year. I'll monitor the trend and keep you abreast of any noteworthy developments.

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
                              X