• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Echo S
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2004

Open PowerPoint file to a specific slide

Hi, all, I'm hoping you can help me here.

I've got a series of buttons on my Autoplay Media Studio page which open the same PPS file. (In case you don't know, a PPS is just like a PPT PowerPoint file, except it opens automatically in full-screen show view as opposed to opening to the PPT editing window.)

I'd like each of these buttons to open the file to a different slide. For instance, Button 1 should open to slide 1. Button 2 should open to slide 6, which begins the second "section" of the PPS file.

In PowerPoint itself, you can hyperlink to slides within a presentation by using <filename>#<slide number>. So I could link to, for instance, myfile.pps#6 to open on slide 6. This is also how you'd do it if you were linking to a PPT/PPS file from within another MS Office application such as Word.

I tried that syntax in AMS, but it doesn't seem to work:
    File.Open("AutoPlay\\Docs\\echo.pps#6", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL);

Of course,
    File.Open("AutoPlay\\Docs\\echo.pps", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL);
    works just fine.

Another way to call a specific slide is to use <filename>#<Slide ID>,<Slide Index>. You can find the Slide ID and Slide Index by opening PPT in IE and looking at the address window. So I tried that syntax as well:
    File.Open("AutoPlay\\Docs\\echo.pps#546,6", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL);

It doesn't work, either.

Do any of you know how to open a PPT/PPS file to a specific slide? Is there a second action line or line of code I can add? (Played with Page Jump, but that didn't work, either.)

I would really really really rather not have to break this slide file up into a bunch of individual PPT/PPS files just because I can't figure out how to make AMS open them from anything but the first slide!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Echo
  • Worm
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jul 2002

Try using File.Run

File.Run("AutoPlay\\Docs\\echo.pps", "#6", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, false);

Comment

• Echo S
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2004

Oh, I had such high hopes for that. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I tried various options within File.Run as well, exchanging "#546,6" for "#6" for example, but nothing did the trick.

I also tried File.OpenURL. That will open the PPT file with no problems, but it won't open to a specific slide.

Any other ideas?

Echo

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Sep 2002

Try here

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Use File.Run

File.Run("\\directory\\pptview.exe", "/n5 \"Presentations\\presentation.ppt\"", "C:\\Temp", SW_SHOWNORMAL, true);

Tigg
        TJ-Tigger
        "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
        "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
        Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• Echo S
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2004

Duh! It didn't even occur to me to use the PPT Viewer and command lines, since all of my recipients will have PPT.

I actually have tutorials for creating PPT autorun CDs on my site -- http://www.echosvoice.com -- but I've obviously not had to do that in conjunction with AMS.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I'll mess with this a bit and see if I can make it do what I want.

Echo

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Sep 2002

Here is a project that I put together with PPTVIEW.EXE that will launch an included ppt file to the appropriate page.

It is just over 2MB

Click here
            TJ-Tigger
            "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
            Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• Echo S
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2004

SWEET! Using the PPT Viewer worked like a charm, and the sample file you posted was very helpful to me.

Thank you so very much! If I can ever help you with PPT directly, just holler.

Thanks again!
              Echo

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Sep 2002

NP glad to help.
                TJ-Tigger

Comment

Working...
                X