• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DWP
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Oct 2001

the best codec

I've just started using this software and since you must use avi files for embedded video, I want to make sure I use the best possible avi codec that will work on even the oldest machines. Any suggestions? I find the newer Indeo codecs to be too much for older machines.

It sure would be nice if we could use mpegs..
  • Mark
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jun 2000

Re: the best codec

Hi,

Here are some general tips that will help to ensure a high-quality AVI:

- Use lower quality sound, 8-bit mono MCI. Do not use a codec.

- Use one of the following codecs:
    Intel Indeo (IR31 or IR32)
    Supermatch Cinepak
    Microsoft RLE (MS-RLE)
    Microsoft Video 1 (MS-CRAM)

- It is recommend that you use either Intel Indeo IR31 or IR32.

- Make sure that the data rate of the audio and video combined are around 300k/sec.

- Reduce the frame rate of your video to 15fps and depending on the codec use compression.

- Keep the file small...320X240 is about the biggest you should go.

- Use a key frame every 15 frames. That should keep your video playing smooth.

mark.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• DWP
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Oct 2001

Re: the best codec

Thanks for the reply Mark. I've been so busy working on my project I just now got around to checking the forum. I come from the broadcast world and avi video is hard for me to accept so you'll have to forgive my being a bit picky... I discovered that uncompressed video does not play well on older machines running Windows95 so I have already been using the older Indeo codec for compression.

Hopefully before long all those old machines will be gone and this won't be a problem. Any chance of your software ever using mpeg video for embedded files?

Comment

Working...
      X