PDA

View Full Version : local html doc?

rhosk
02-07-2004, 04:05 AM
I have a button that opens a html file that is local on the computer. Once again, my firewall alerts me to access the web?? I've tried file.open, getURL, and both want access. Get this, when I disable my firewall altogether, the html page won't even open :wow I don't get this at all. Please, I could really use a workaround quick here. If the user is not even connected to the Internet, they won't be able to open this html doc?

AaronCooper
02-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Few questions:

What is your default html viewer? IE?
What is your connection setting for the browser?

Originally posted by rhosk
I have a button that opens a html file that is local on the computer. Once again, my firewall alerts me to access the web?? I've tried file.open, getURL, and both want access. Get this, when I disable my firewall altogether, the html page won't even open :wow I don't get this at all. Please, I could really use a workaround quick here. If the user is not even connected to the Internet, they won't be able to open this html doc?

rhosk
02-07-2004, 10:13 AM
My default browser is IE. And I don't have any particular connection settings, on a cable connection. It's just weird. I can open any html doc on my computer normally and not require access to the Internet. I've asked this question before and I never got a response from IR, just had to perform a workaround. At this point, I'm stuck doing that as well.

I have an app that is just trying to open a html help file is all. This app doesn't need an Internet connection, yet if I lock my firewall, this htm won't even open. Got to be a b*g.

I don't know, could be my computer. Could someone please check this and see if you get the same results? Just try and open a html doc on your computer with a button and see if you require a connection? Thanks for your response Aaron.

AaronCooper
02-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Post the project or a test project so we can look at it.

Is the html doc stored in the project and copied to the computer?

My default browser is IE. And I don't have any particular connection settings, on a cable connection. It's just weird. I can open any html doc on my computer normally and not require access to the Internet. I've asked this question before and I never got a response from IR, just had to perform a workaround. At this point, I'm stuck doing that as well.

I have an app that is just trying to open a html help file is all. This app doesn't need an Internet connection, yet if I lock my firewall, this htm won't even open. Got to be a b*g.

I don't know, could be my computer. Could someone please check this and see if you get the same results? Just try and open a html doc on your computer with a button and see if you require a connection? Thanks for your response Aaron.

rhosk
02-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Ah, it's intermittant now. But, if I can't find a definitive answer, I can't go this route. Here's the file, thanks for looking into it for me.

AaronCooper
02-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Nothing looks strange what info do you get if you tell zone alarm for more info?

Ah, it's intermittant now. But, if I can't find a definitive answer, I can't go this route. Here's the file, thanks for looking into it for me.

rhosk
02-08-2004, 03:32 AM
http://pralerts.zonelabs.com/pranalyze.jsp?record=ZLN27604292503958-1013/2a123d0fa9420e4f90064e6&tab=overview

rhosk
02-09-2004, 10:18 AM
http://rphmedia.net/downloads/bump.gif

rhosk
02-09-2004, 05:53 PM
IR??? Comments? You give up? BUMP!

Brett
02-10-2004, 06:31 AM
AMS50 simply uses the Internet Explorer ActiveX interface to display Web pages. So it is IE, not AMS50 that wants to contect the Internet. Keep in mind that it may not be "contacting the Internet" but rather just probing for your network settings, etc. There are a lot of things that can set ZA off. In my opinion, if you choose to use a product like Zone Alarm (as I do at home) you are choosing to see a lot of ZA popups and warnings. Just part of keeping things safe.

Corey
02-10-2004, 07:31 AM
I concur. ZA users are the only ones experiencing these issues. As far as I know ZA users do not get hacked less often than non-ZA users so it's a trade off...

Corey Milner
Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software (http://www.indigorose.com)

rhosk
02-10-2004, 07:50 AM
This is a fine cop out guys, but you know me, I'm one to challenge!

Number one, IMHO, ZA is a fine firewall because I have tested it a many reputable security intrusion test sites, and they cannot break into my computer (less of a point) - any port whatsoever.

Number two, it is "AUTORUN.EXE" trying to access the Net, whether it's a loop or not (0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.0), it's AMS accessing, not IE. If it was IE trying to access, then wouldn't it say that Internet Explorer is trying to access (or an IE ActiveX)?

Number three, My current ZA configuration does not popup all the time, because I have it fully configured and I have incoming alerts turned off. The only application that pops this thing currently is "autorun.exe" when I try to access a local file. There's a problem, because my workaround works fine.

I can open IE all day long and access local files all over my hardrive and ZA could care less. However, put a button call from an AMS build, and it wants to access. For an application that does not require Interent access AT ALL, then can you explain why it's happening? Please don't tell me it's by design. One thing I don't want happening (if I use this route, which I'm not), is the users dial-up Networking window popping up to access a local help file. Kinda cheezy gentlemen, not to mention scaring them off because they think I'm spying on them or something. This thread went a full day without a comment. If you don't know why it's happening, then please tell me that. I don't want to hear about domains, DNS properties and IP theories - I would just like to know why this particular action wants access to a port, whether local or not. Pretty please?

Brett
02-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Number two, it is "AUTORUN.EXE" trying to access the Net, whether it's a loop or not (0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.0), it's AMS accessing, not IE. If it was IE trying to access, then wouldn't it say that Internet Explorer is trying to access (or an IE ActiveX)?

No, ZA reports on the process that is using the ActiveX control. The fact is that the IE app does try to access the Internet for local files as well, it is just that you long ago told ZA not to flag IE as a problem. Try telling ZA not to list IE as a trusted app, then try opening a local file with it. My guess is that ZA will prompt you to see if IE is allowed to access the internet.

Corey
02-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Let's keep it polite, no one is copping out nor is anyone directing adjectives at anyone... No one said ZA wasn't a "fine firewall" if you read back across the thread. All I said was that I've observed ZA users are typically the only ones who are running into usability issues and that there are many other fine firewalls too which don't seem to leave people *less protected* than ZA. That's the truth, take it or leave it, but lets keep the comments polite please Ron.

Corey Milner
Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software (http://www.indigorose.com)

rhosk
02-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Brett, No, I just tried that and opened a local file and ZA didn't budge. OK, well I think we're getting all twisted up here. The house is on fire and we're cleaning out the garage, LOL!

I remember when I first bought the program (ver4), this was a big issue.

http://www.indigorose.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2053

You guys obviously identified that as a problem and fixed that with an update, cool!

The behavior seems to be similar to that, except it's not happening during the actual build anymore. If it's a conflict between the programs, then I guess there's nothing we can do about that, eh?

Well again, I have a "workaround" for it but I'm not too happy about it. If I could've just opened a default browser for this help file, it would've saved me some 1800KB. I had to make an additional app and it went from about 3MG to 5MG just because of this. If you execute a blank web browser and in turn load the local url, ZA doesn't alert. It only happens with the getURL and even File.Open.

Thanks anyway for the help. I guess I'm beating a dead horse here, sorry.