• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpsmith
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2000

Listbox Horizontal Scroll Problem

I think I found a bug in the Horizontal scroll bar for listboxes.

I have a blank listbox that I'm populating on page show. I have both Horizontal and Vertical scroll options checked.

The text items I'm populating into the listbox are typically wider than the listbox so I would expect to get a horizontal scrollbar...but on build I don't?

So I think the listbox might need to be initially populated with an item that is too wide before build. So I put a dummy item in at design time and set an action on page show to delete the dummy item and add the real items.

Now I do get a horizontal scroll but with the limits set to the width of the dummy item and not to the real items in the list.
  • rhosk
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Aug 2003

Yes, I've noticed this too.

I'm not replying to your post kpsmith as much as I'm making a recommendation to IR. I'm playing with this program every day and Im finding glitches here and there. Most are minor and you can work around them, but not enough to exclaim here in the "GD" forum. Takes a bunch of thread space and I for one don't want to go thru "bug findings" when I'm perusing or looking for answers at this great place.

I think you guys (IR) should think about a (I know you hate the term!!) "bug report" section. Most software vendors have them and it's definitely not a hit on you or your great software. Number 1, it would let everyone know (in one place) what the minor problems are in the current version. Number 2, it would be a central location for you to consider or monitor/update a list of things to look into for an upgrade of sorts. Number 3, it would allow us users of the software a place to go to maybe report such items. I know, some are bogus, but I figure once you answer a so-called bug as the user's problem, you could either mark it as such or delete the post. Ah, just my 2 cents. I too have some minor issues to report, but just don't want to take up valuable time or space here at the "GD" section (no offense at all kps).

I think it would be a great addition. If not, could you maybe explain why you don't/won't go that route? The software is awesome, not knocking it a bit here!
    Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Worm
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jul 2002

Seems, once again IR is one step ahead of us. Remember the thread posted a bit back about their new support site?

Check it out

Comment

• rhosk
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Aug 2003

So, is this the official venue to report [bugs] in the program? I think it's great, but it's not public. My point is that "everyone" should know about the minor problems that we encounter. I could give you 5 items that work fantastic on a XP machine, but throw it on a WIN98 machine (which is still dominating the computer users today - WIN98 thru WINme) and I encounter faults. Like I said, there are workarounds for most, but I get an app ready to deploy and test on a WIN98 box and I get all kinds of odd results. I am not faulting the program guys, I like the way it performs!! I want to reiterate that!

Ah, I was just suggesting is all. I hope I don't get hammered for this one
        Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• kpsmith
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2000

Worm... Why do you have to be such a smarty pants

Actually I've emailed them directly on a couple of other things I found and that works well.

Sometimes though... I'm not so sure if it's a bug, normal, or if I'm just screwing things up.

rhosk...I wouldn't mind a bug section either... Then IR can slam me in public for being an idiot for posting dumb things there

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

My point is that "everyone" should know about the minor problems that we encounter
            Hi Ron. I politely disagree but I did consider your point. Thing is that I would rather publicize the 99.99% which is great about AMS than then .01% like this scrollbar, which as you know, usually get fixed immediately. I don't wish to have a bunch of (unsubstantiated) anonymous bug reports which usually get fixed right away anyhow floating around Google for the next 15 years...

On my end I simply see no benefit to this and frankly and bit of a downside. That would be different if we didn't so such a dang good job of addressing your concerns already though. Additionally we don't really want to add any duties to my already packed workday unless they are going to bring some obvious benefit to the majority of users, like the awesome new support site does for example... It takes care of these issues perfectly, and in a proper forum, i.e. private, where reports can be substantiated and the user's validity can also be verified.

Anyhow the support site is great, please give it a chance. I believe that once you start using it you will be very happy.

Corey Milner
            Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Ted Sullivan
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Oct 2003

While I'm not completely against a "bug report" forum, my experience is that quite often when people can't figure something out or their system is just plain messed up, they immediately jump to the conclusion that it must be a "bug" in the product.

Having a bunch of false-alarm "bug" reports that show up in searches etc. has been the source of a good amount of confusion for new users. For example, while I think the value of keeping years of old posts around outweighs the negative, it also results in new users searching this forum, reading a message pertaining to AMS v3 from a few years ago and assuming they need to "work-around" a "bug" or "limitation" that was addressed two years ago.

Anyhow, it's a tough issue. Any reproducable bugs should be sent as tickets to http://support.indigorose.com so we can investigate them and act accordingly. That guarantees it ends up in our bug management system and will get fixed as necessary.

Not sure if it's a bug? Post in the GD forum to ask if anyone else is experiencing the same issue or is it just a "feature"
              New Release: Setup Factory 9.6 adds Windows 11 compatibility and support for hardware token OV/EV Code Signing certificates.

Comment

• rhosk
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Aug 2003

Well, I was gonna qoute a bunch of your statements, but refrained as it would do no good to get a point across. I'm not being callous at all, please don't misinterpret. I WILL give the new support system a chance, but I really feel that the General Discussion section is not the place to say, "Hey, this worked on XP, but WIN98...no go; to put it short.

It seems that if you post a problem with the program, and it happens to BE a problem with the software (which I wouldn't want advertised in a GD forum), I think it would be better placed elsewhere. I agree Ted that [it] would probably be inundated with "new users" not totally familiar with the program (not that I'm an expert - by a long shot). But, I get the gist and I'm learning something new every day from all of you!

Just as an example - the "Shell.GetFolder(SHF_MYDOCUMENTS);" doesn't work for WIN98 (just rolls to "my computer"). A tiny example of my findings. Should I post something like that in the General Discussion? I wouldn't think so. Too trivial. I can get around it, but shouldn't it be a little more cross platform? Or am I missing the boat? Again, just a suggy is all. I hope I'm not ****ing people off; the last thing I want to do here.
                Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Corey
                  Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                  • Aug 2002

Ron. You are definitely not bugging anyone here on our end, we love the way you engage debate about our forum. It's great. Frankly without thoughtful users like yourself we'd be doomed. That being said, sure go ahead and post that to GD. I tend to prune old threads to a lesser extent which go like:

User: Is this a bug? [subject]
                  Brett: Nope, go to EDIT> PREFERENCES and turn off [subject]

You know what I mean? So no harm done by asking something here in the GD forum at all. Also never a problem for you to raise these issues in GD as well.

The problem with a dedicated bug forum, amongst the others we've discussed, is that it's basically a log of bugs which are already fixed, in the long run. That doesn't serve any purpose, i.e. new users need not know those bugs even existed for all ostensible purposes, and neither do old users. But to be sure the bug report system at support.indigorose.com is the best way for this process to occur. And I'll tell you why.

If our support staff had to try and parse every post in here it would be highly inefficient. However when you submit a ticket, it gets tracked and validated, so that not only is it highly efficient but it also becomes part of a larger picture so that we can see what issues end up being most important and where we can best dedicate our energy to improve the experience in a way which will be most meaningful to you. In other words, whatever you post to this forum is information which cannot be indexed in any meaningful way, so it's data which we cannot track to any accurate degree, i.e. no one can tell you how many post there are here pertaining to the Windows Media Player object WMP9 issues vs. How to skin the new paragraph object scrollbars.

But when you use the new support site we've created these issues become much more efficient and they allow our support staff to keep up properly with our valid users in a trackable, prioritized manner. That's a huge benefit for you, us, and also for the long term development of our sites and products. For example if we notice that the encryption plug-in gets generates fifteen times more support tickets than the thumbnail plug-in, you can bet that when we are adding new (free) video tutorials at http://www.autoplayzone.com that we will make sure there's 2 or 3 specifically on learning the encryption plug-in and explaining the issues which seem to be most often asked.

You get the idea, it's a matter of maintaining the highest quality support as we grow. You've seen it a million times, a company has a solid approach but then they get popular and the whole thing slides into the barrel, but we're being pro-active as always, and the new support site is there to make sure you still get the very best service anywhere as things grow. Of course the forum will never change though, you can always post here whenever you have something to ask, no one is requiring users to use the support site or anything.

The main thing is that I want you to know I consider your point, I'm not just steamrolling your idea. I'm sure you can see by our responses that it's not something we discounted, we actually considered it, and worked out all the long term permutations before responding. Hope that you're OK with this.

Corey Milner

Comment

• Intrigued
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Dec 2003

I have posted too about this "feature"

Listbox Horizontal Scroll Problem
                    Is there an "update" for this in the works, soon to come out?

Thank you in advance.
                    Intrigued

Comment

• kpsmith
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2000

How about instead of a bug list a posting of known issues somewhere on http://support.indigorose.com/ after the issue has been verified by IR?

This could then be modified as you release updates? Just a thought.

As far as frequent updates to squash bugs you've always done so very quickly and also provide a list of what's been fixed (my favorite). Kudos to IR on that.

I think a lot of these minor issues are just part of the growing pains of the all new version/engine and will work themselves out eventually.

...Besides, its my own fault, I should have found this stuff in the beta testing :

Comment

• Corey
                        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                        • Aug 2002

A "Known Issues" section at support.indigorose.com is a good idea, also a very timely and helpful suggestion... Actually that's a dang good idea the more that I think about it, it would give us someplace to post links for people asking about existing issues also. Truly superb idea kpsmith...

Corey Milner

Comment

• Ted Sullivan
                          Indigo Rose Staff Member
                          • Oct 2003

OK. Here it is. The "Suggestion Box" forum has become the "Suggestions & Bug Reports" forum.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and feedback on this issue.
                          New Release: Setup Factory 9.6 adds Windows 11 compatibility and support for hardware token OV/EV Code Signing certificates.

Comment

Working...
                          X