• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dicesare
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2004

Version AutoDetect

I'm currently evaluating TrueUpdate 1.0.

As I understand, we have to prepare a server file which stores the latest version info, and the version that is eligible to be updated.

Since our procedure is updated very often, we are looking for a procedure that examines both client (local) and server (internet) versions and - if the server version is higher than the client's version - automatically downloads and installs the update.

Is this possible using TrueUpdate?

Many thanks
  • Adam
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • May 2000

Hi,

I think that I can answer your question by explaining how the update procedure works using True Update.

The Client.exe file resides on the users system and should never change. Either than the gui the only other purpose of the Client.exe is to point to the server file.

The Server file (*.uif) resides on a server of your choosing. When the client runs it actually downloads the server file (as it is tiny) and tries to execute the commands that are in it. In the server file there is a tab for "Version Identifiers" this is where you would want to compare a value in order to determine if a new update is required. You can then use the built in actions to download files and make any changes and so on.

So I think that True Update inherently does what you are asking as the server file is actually run from the users system therefore it has access to the version information from the system as well as what you specify as the newest version.

Please feel free to post back here if I have failed to answer your question.

Comment

• dicesare
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2004

Thanks Adam for your quick response.

The problem - as per the title of the thread - is the detection of the current version of the file on the server, not on the client.

I understand that I can (must) change the .uif file each time I update the file on the server.

The question is:

1. Is there any way to declare - under "Version Identifiers" - a rule that inspects the server version (not a fixed value as TrueUpdate currently does)?
      2. If not, is there a way to automate the creation of the .uif file?

Many thanks.

Comment

• dicesare
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2004

up

Comment

Working...
        X